Kome Koji question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
I had a thought that i wanted to get some input on before i try it out.

Do you guys think the Aspergillus will grow on oats instead of rice? I had this idea of trying a similar rice wine or Sake with oats as a substitute for rice. I think the whole process of either rice wine or Sake could be reproduced with oats and might end up being really tastey if everything worked out.

Thanks again!

To be honest I can't see as to why it would not work. Aspergillus is not a finicky mold and could be cultivated on any grain I am sure. I have no idea on how it would taste and what the starch differences are between oats and rice but I say go for it. Worst case is that you end up with a putrid mess you throw out. We all have done that so no worries.

The only issues I would consider with oats are their ability to glutenize into a gel-like glop when steamed or cooked. This might inhibit the fungus a bit. I'd definitely try steaming your oats (maybe whole oats and not rolled/milled oats) and try to steam them fairly lightly.

Agreed with trying steamed whole oats. Koji will innoculate other beans and grains, and traditionally have been. Examples include barley or soybeans, can't recall all of it, when making soy sauce and miso.

Latest posts

Back