Kegged brew longevity???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushnbugs

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question for those with time and experience under your belt.

I have been home brewing for about 2 years and usually my kegged beer goes rather fast (2-3 months) BUT since I expanded up to 4 taps my beer goes a lot slower nowadays.

I brewed up an American Lager for the wife July of 2012 and I am wondering how long in the keg it will last? Its been kegged since July 2012 and still going. Tastes ok I guess, I never was a fan of it to start but thats besides the point.

I also have Rye IPA on tap since August 2012, this one gave me a horrible case of flatulance last few pints I had. More so than I have ever experienced before. Has it turned on me?

I just made a Moose drool thats in the fermenter and Im looking forward to getting that on tap…

:drunk:

I don't think it has turned, I have had fresh brews that have made me gassy.

Where did you find the Moose Drool recipe?

The beer won't go bad in the sense it would spoil, but just like with commercial beers some stay at their peak for a bit longer than others. Keeping them in the fridge will slow down the aging process.

If you got gas from a beer that had been sitting a long time, I suspect more yeast fell out and the first pour or two got more yeast than usual.

OK that makes sense, thanks. I did notice the IPA is not as hoppy as it was when first brewed but it still tastes good.

The Moose Drool came as a kit that my Brother picked up for me. Im not exactly sure where he found it. Im looking forward to getting it on tap...

In my experience, the hoppier and lighter the beer, the faster you should drink it. I've had IPA's that mellowed out into pale ales after a couple months, still good, but the hops fade. Pale ales get a little bland, but still drinkable. Stouts, on the other hand, can sit for ever it seems like and just keep getting better as the beer mellows and the flavors blend.

A beer in a keg that's been purged of O2 is a closed, anaeorobic system, basically like a big bottle, and would keep just like a bottle.

Of course, certain characteristics of beer, especially hop aroma, fade pretty fast, but overall beer at fridge temps will stay fresh for a pretty long time. Low ABV beers at fridge temps should keep for something on the order of 8-12 months, and higher ABV beers at fridge temps can easily keep for more like 2-3+ years.

Latest posts

Back