Keg refurbishing / Corrosion issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmack

Reaction score
Hi all, I just picked up some cheap ball lock kegs and I'm in the middle of refurbishing them. I've done this a few times before so I have an idea of what I am doing, but by no means am I an expert. I'm having an issue with a very slow leak from the liquid side post of one of the kegs. There appears to be some pitting/corrosion at the top of the threading and I think that may be where the leak is coming from. I'm attaching a photo I just took. Do anyone know of an easy way to remedy this? Also, is this common at all or did I just get a bad keg?

photo1.jpg

I would try some fine grit sand paper attached to something flat and give it a polish.

Agreed, or first just try a nice scrub with barkeepers friend.

If the problem persists, and you're sure it's there, you can try an extra compliant silicone o-ring for that dip tube.

Me thinks, that it seals towards the bottom, where the o-ring is sitting, and not on the face where you pointed out the corrosion.

Clean up the seam as well, where the nipple is brazed into the vessel, and look for any pinholes there.
If ya' have a small stainless "toothbrush" sized wire brush, use that in the area, inside and out, plug the nipple opening, and shine a strong light from the inside, and look real close at the seam area.

Me thinks, that it seals towards the bottom, where the o-ring is sitting, and not on the face where you pointed out the corrosion.[...]

Nope. The o-ring gets pinched between the dip tube flange and the top of the threaded riser, and is compressed when the post is tightened down on the flange. In fact it is the bulging of the o-ring that seals the whole riser works to the inside of the post - the riser and post threads are straight cut so they provide zero sealing ability.

I'd take a fresh bastard file to the top of the riser and cut it down to clean metal. Shouldn't take but a few minutes...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back