Keezer Condensation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayareo

Reaction score
So I have DIY'd a keezer and have one hole in the unit for the temp sensor. I have not yet gone the route of a collar / tap handles - I simply open the lid when its time for a fresh pint. I am getting condensation inside the keezer, which leads to slight mold over time.

What is everyone using to seal around the opening? What 'stands up' to the temps without failing?

Thanks!

I think you will always get condensation just from opening the lid. I have been using a small container of Damp rid and it absorbs most of the moisture and lasts 6 months to one year.

Yeah, because it's a freezer, the interior walls get well below the condensation point of water vapor every time the compressor is running, so chest freezers will get swampy quicker if one keeps opening the lid.

fwiw, I run a pair of Eva Dry E-500 passive dehumidifiers with 40mm fans attached and this time of summer they'll suck up and hold onto a few ounces of water each within a couple of weeks - and I only open the lid to swap kegs, otherwise...

Cheers!

No exposed holes here. I have the faucet tower on top, and all of the gas and power lines run through bulkheads installed in the back edge of the lid...

Cheers!

Back