Is my regulator broke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasquith

Reaction score
Hi ,
suddenly now my regulator doesent seem to work.
I'm a bit new to kegging so please bear with me .
when I open the gas bottle with the regulator turned off ( all the way clockwise) the low pressure dial climbs , to the limit.
it didnt' do that before , this is with the disconects off the tank.
I've tried oiling the screw a bit but the gas seems to pass straight through the regulator poen or closed . should I get a new one ,unfortunetely i've scratched it and band it around a bit so there's no chance of a refund.
what do you think. thanks.

Without having it in my grubby little hands to examine I would guess you've got a damaged diaphragm. You should be able to pick up a rebuild kit easily enough. What reg is it?

Hi ,
suddenly now my regulator doesent seem to work.
I'm a bit new to kegging so please bear with me .
when I open the gas bottle with the regulator turned off ( all the way clockwise) the low pressure dial climbs , to the limit. ...
With the regulator turned all the way clockwise - you are delivering maximum pressure. You need to turn it CCW (Counter Clock Wise) to decrease the delivered pressure.

HTH

He also said it would do the same if it was open or closed which I took to mean he went both ways and got the same result. Perhaps the OP can clarify what is actually happening.

yes , sorry I meant to say anti clockwise .
the make of regulater is' Oxileo' which I doubt anyone as ever heard of , I wont be buying that brand again. Also I tried looking up spares on the net but couldn't find anything, but yeah the diamphram blown would make sense .
Iv'e seen some here called 'Record ' are available and seem a little more robust, better made, its a shame it was my first attempt at kegging because now i've got overcarbonated foamy beer thats flat in the glassI didnt' have much sucssess with either the set and forget or the force carbing but I suppose I should be glad the keg didn't explode with all that unregulated gas going in .
friday I'm going shopping again!

hey I manged to fix my regulator,
after resigning myself to buying another I set about the very difficult to undo dismantling of my reg. I found nothing wrong with the screw plunger seal or diampram but in the base of the body theres another plunger, a sort of small brass disc that bears upon a small pin . it seemded quite stiff but must have freed off whilst i was messing with it thinking what the hell I'm going to throw it away anyway. when i put it back together hey presto worked perfectly I screw the knob in and the needle climbs I screw it out it drops .
unfornunetely its rather battered looking now as I didnt have the right wrenches and stuff had to be quite viscous with a centre puch and hammer but I figure it can take it .
I had the first really good pours tonight since starting kegging
its so much easier to understand when the reg works properly
thanks all.

If it aint't working hit it with a hammer.

It may have had a little dirt under the seat that caused it to leak by too much pressure and you cleaned it out by taking it apart. It's not often that you can make a successful repair to a regulator. Keep an eye on it, it may not be through messing with you.

Latest posts

Back