Buzzing Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been bottle conditioning for years, and recently started kegging my homebrew. Today, I kegged my second batch. I left the CO2 bottle in the refrigerator after my first batch. When I opened the regulator to let gas into the corny keg, it registered 2-3 pounds and then started buzzing. The needle started vibrating. I shut it off, and turned off the valve at the bottle. I opened the regulator again, and it did not buzz. So I opened the valve on top of the bottle, and then proceeded to slowly open the regulator. It got up to around 10 lbs and started buzzing again. So I backed it off, and slowly opened it again. Extremely slowly, in small intervals over a period of 15-20 minutes, I opened it all the way up to 20 lbs. Everything seems fine. Am I okay, or is my new regulator defective or about to explode and ruin my beer?

Thank you for your time!

Odds are you were listening to a spring-loaded-ball backflow-preventer (aka "check valve") integrated into the shut-off valve rattling in its bore due to gas passing through.

I get that on some of my regulators (and certain valves on my manifolds) if there's a large volume of CO2 passing through. Once the pressure gets close to equalized the rattling ceases...

Cheers!

you think you're scared of buzzing now? ask anyone that's lost a co2 tank to a leak, then you'll really be scared!

as long as it doesn't last, it's normal....mine buzzes all the time when i pour the first couple glasses off a full keg.....as long as it isn't gently weeping all the time, i'm ok with it..... :mug: and congrats on the move to kegging!

Back