IPA with Saison Yeast - Opinions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI I have read many times on here folks saying dont measure FG with a refractometer, the alcohol messes with the reading. They are great and easy for OG reading/checking for gravity during mash/sparge. Get yourself a hydrometer for your FG reading if you dont have one yet.

We do have one, however, the graduated cylinder cracked (it was that cheap plastic that it came in...) I priced out a new one and it was almost the same amount of a refractometer, so I bought that. I appreciate the heads up, I had not read that yet.

We do have one, however, the graduated cylinder cracked (it was that cheap plastic that it came in...) I priced out a new one and it was almost the same amount of a refractometer, so I bought that. I appreciate the heads up, I had not read that yet.

Sure thing, the refractometer is an awesome addition to your brewery though, it's sooooo much easier than doing hydrometer readings!

Reddit mentioned 3oz dry hop for a 2.5 gal batch would give you a fruity aroma and taste.... LHBS told me they don't recommend due to loss of volume.

Thoughts here? I was planning on an oz (.5 mosaic, .5citra)... should I up that to 1 oz each? 1.5? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hydrometer reading taken last night. 1.012 it's at. Krausen hasn't fallen, so I am hoping it just keeps pluggin along down to 1.004 or so. It's extract, and from what I read, extract doesn't really provide enough sugars to get that low...

But I have faith. It was partial mash, so... Better than all extract. we're at 3 weeks strong on fermentation. Tasted a little rubbing alcoholy, but from what I read, I am hoping it ferments out.

Reddit mentioned 3oz dry hop for a 2.5 gal batch would give you a fruity aroma and taste.... LHBS told me they don't recommend due to loss of volume.

Thoughts here? I was planning on an oz (.5 mosaic, .5citra)... should I up that to 1 oz each? 1.5? Thanks in advance for any replies!

3 oz / 2.5gal is about the level i dry hop my IPAs. I dont concern myself with the volume loss but its never more than 1 beer or so. Hope it turns out

Dry hopped last night with a total of 2 oz. .5 citra .5 centennial .5 mosaic .5 cascade.
Fermentation has really slowed but is still bubbling ever so slightly. Plan to leave for 7 days, then bottle. We'll see how it comes out!
I put pellets straight in, plan to use a mesh bag over my siphon and go about it that way.

One thing I read said to keep everything cool, like 60 degrees, but if I want fermentation to finish up, I need to keep it higher.

Any thoughts on this? It's currently at 78 with the swamp cooler/aquarium heater.

Dry hopped last night with a total of 2 oz. .5 citra .5 centennial .5 mosaic .5 cascade.
Fermentation has really slowed but is still bubbling ever so slightly. Plan to leave for 7 days, then bottle. We'll see how it comes out!
I put pellets straight in, plan to use a mesh bag over my siphon and go about it that way.

One thing I read said to keep everything cool, like 60 degrees, but if I want fermentation to finish up, I need to keep it higher.

Any thoughts on this? It's currently at 78 with the swamp cooler/aquarium heater.

Keep it above the minimum temperature range, I would keep it closer to the median temp +2F to ensure a final push on the fermenting.

Keep it above the minimum temperature range, I would keep it closer to the median temp +2F to ensure a final push on the fermenting.

70-95. median +2 = right around where I have it at like 78.

Appreciate that tip! it's been there throughout, but with ferms roaring, I figured at least 7 over whatever the temp of the water was.

70-95. median +2 = right around where I have it at like 78.

Appreciate that tip! it's been there throughout, but with ferms roaring, I figured at least 7 over whatever the temp of the water was.

When it slows down, you can rouse the yeast further and get it up to the 75% of the temperature tolerance range. Remember, the yeast creates heat during the first phase (exothermic) when most off flavors and fusels are created. The latter stages (endothermic=no heat) do not create the fusels. The yeast does not generate heat during the end of the fermentation.

Bottom line: do not stress the yeast.

Everything I have read says to wait until fermentation is complete before dry-hopping, otherwise some of your aroma & flavours get "scrubbed" by the CO² being formed. Then again, just because your airlock is bubbling, doesn't mean it is still fermenting... hmm.

I'mma shut up now and let you do your thing. I have no idea what I am talking about here...

Everything I have read says to wait until fermentation is complete before dry-hopping, otherwise some of your aroma & flavours get "scrubbed" by the CO² being formed. Then again, just because your airlock is bubbling, doesn't mean it is still fermenting... hmm.

I'mma shut up now and let you do your thing. I have no idea what I am talking about here...

I've noticed the same thing with my IPAs. I like to wait until FG is reached, then dry hop. I've dry hopped earlier and while I get good hop punch early one, about a month later it drops of faster if I dry hop earlier.

Bottom line: do not stress the yeast.

have to disagree here. for styles like saison, hefeweizen, etc, stressing the yeast can actually give you some great flavors.

esters and phenols are what define these styles IMO, and stressing yeast can boost them both.

i think its more appropriate to say "dont stress the yeast unless you're doing it on purpose"

definitely agree on rousing the yeast- i do it at the beginning of fermentation to help growth/aeration as well as at the end when im trying to get down to FG.

So, my I don't really know how low this can drop but it started at like 1.045 or so and down to 1.012 as of last week.
I read to dry hop either after fermentation or when it's really winding down with a couple points left to go.

During the early stages I was at 80° constant in the water, meaning higher, because I wanted to hit 90° for the 3724. Like it was said, it is known to produce great flavors and aromas.

Now I'm just going to aim to keep it just above minimum temp. It's been about 3.5 weeks in primary

...as always thanks everyone for the input/ having the open dialogue and taking time to respond. I can read all day but a conversation and answering specifics is much preferred. Thanks.

I used Belle Saison in a hoppy saison and the hops completely dominated the spicy phenols.
37.gif
24.gif
23.gif

Dry hopping with pellets and using a muslin bag failed.. I mean it worked but not well. I must find easier ways. My dry hopping cherry has been popped.
Paint strainer I couldn't see being any better but then again what do I know

ummm does anyone else find the exact copy/paste of those above posts combined with the low post count and similar random lettered, bottom-left of the keyboard, username unnerving?.....

OK so the first account has 3 posts within 1 minute of each one on 10/9 and thats it. Next account has 4 posts within 1 minute of each one on 10/14. Both join dates are Oct 2015. Also did the same copy/paste thing on another thread

Maybe its just some weird dude, but id like to keep the forums as spam bot free as possible....

Dry hopping with pellets and using a muslin bag failed.. I mean it worked but not well. I must find easier ways. My dry hopping cherry has been popped.
Paint strainer I couldn't see being any better but then again what do I know

If you're doing just 1 dryhop just drop the pellets into the carboy. When you rack just don't remove the hop trub at the bottom.

If you're doing just 1 dryhop just drop the pellets into the carboy. When you rack just don't remove the hop trub at the bottom.

The hops clogged up the muslin bag i put around the siphon/racking cane... I wasn't clear, I did not put the hops into a bag, I put them straight into carboy... tried to let them settle out, but they still go sucked up.

If the hop trub clogged the bag, it prob would have clogged the siphon. Not sure why it didn't just sit on the bottom. I can't cold crash, not a big enough fridge.

m00ps, agreed on the spam bot/seems suspect.

Hoping ending at 1.012 with this recipe was the right thing to do... It was there for multiple days but in reading, I now think maybe I should have aimed lower. 1.012 seems high for all posts and things I've read but it was there for like two weeks... Figured it was done. :/

I just finished this same exact kit but I used Wyeast 1272 and finished at 1.012. Turned out great.

Thing is... the saison yeast is known to attenuate to like 1.004... sometimes lower.

I hope it came out great, it tasted great before putting it into the bottle... So that is pretty promising. Just hoping it doesn't continue fermenting in the bottle and BOTTLEBOMB me.

I figured it's extract, and wasn't sure if the super high attenuation was for AG or not.

Yeah mine ended up tasting out of the bottle similar to going in. My only change for next time (at least if using the same yeast) is to hit a lower temperature. My chest freezer died within 24 hours of fermentation starting and I got up to 70-71F. I have since replaced it. Got a little more "peach" and "sweet" flavors than I prefer but still good overall.

I'm interested in how yours turns out so come back and share!

I shall certainly. It'll be a little different due to saison yeast... And the best part was, while it was hot (90 + temps during the day), the yeast loved that.
No need to worry about it getting too hot.

We'll see. I think it'll be funky, but peachy and citrusy. I dry hopped. I changed a bit of the recipe too... added mosaic, did flame outs where it called for like 10m additions, dry hopped with citra, mosaic, cascade, centennial... I kind of didn't follow much of the recipe at all now that I think of it :x

I've been following this thread and was inspired to do something similar. My brother was in town and wanted to brew but the ambient temp in my condo is 70 - 80 most of the year, and October is warm in SF. So far so good, the bubbles out of my blow off smell hop-tacular.

-- Nathan

You'll want to get it higher. $12 aquarium heater from walMart was best investment. 80 degrees always, you can bet during fermentation you're 85+
What yeast did you use?
If I did it over, I'd have pitched 3711 to finish it out... But the best advice I got was pitch at 70, let it free rise up, keep it at 80 after. Swamp coolers can be swamp heaters!

You'll want to get it higher. $12 aquarium heater from walMart was best investment. 80 degrees always, you can bet during fermentation you're 85+
What yeast did you use?
If I did it over, I'd have pitched 3711 to finish it out... But the best advice I got was pitch at 70, let it free rise up, keep it at 80 after. Swamp coolers can be swamp heaters!

I used Belle Saison, it was up a bubbling the morning after we pitched (pitched around 11pm). I swap cooled it for the first 12 hours and then let it warm up and now have it wearing a hoodie. It was warm to the touch when I checked on it last night and bubbling consistently with lots of swirling in the carboy and a nice kausen. It's been 77 - 80 in my condo ever since we pitched so I think temps are ok. I don't want to go TOO hot and get overly fruity.

-- Nathan

IMG_20151015_000737.jpg

IMG_20151013_193007.jpg

What yeast did you use?

If you have the fermenter in a water bath, then the temp of the water and the temp of the wort should be within a very small margin of each other. The only thing separating the wort from the water is the wall of the fermentation vessel, and while that can provide a modicum of insulation, it's a different situation than the temp of wort v. the temp of ambient air outside the fermenter.

If you have the fermenter in a water bath, then the temp of the water and the temp of the wort should be within a very small margin of each other. The only thing separating the wort from the water is the wall of the fermentation vessel, and while that can provide a modicum of insulation, it's a different situation than the temp of wort v. the temp of ambient air outside the fermenter.

Thank you, was misunderstood on that. Love this forum, so informative.

...nate, with 3724; too hot didn't exist. I'm not sure on temps of the belle but I think you're right that it's a lower threshold. You know better than I so keep on! I was impressed with the taste from the non carbonated at bottling time. Like you said, super fruity, little dry taste from the yeast.

I've been updating and I'll make sure to update upon drinking also. Good luck!

Plan to dry hop?

Plan to dry hop?

This is only my second brew so I'm not quite ready for that yet. I'm hoping to leave it sitting in primary for 4 weeks or so (FG reading determining that of course) and then bottle. Belle can go as high as 90 but from what I read in a thread on here about that yeast, I might not get what I want flavorwise at the top of that temp range.

Of course the weather cooled down today so I may end up having to use a heater to get full attenuation. Luckily I'm not in a rush :)

-- Nathan

Patience and consistent warmth and you'll be good.

It always seems that cool down happens. The day after I started it, it dropped from like 90 to like 60 overnight... in comes the aquarium heater.

Tonight... I popped a bottle. Over flow immediately. I'm over carbed at one week. I put in fridge out of panic for no bottle bombs.
I used calculator for ipa then for saison and then used lowest ipa or Belgian I forget and highest ipa... That must be where it went wrong.

Good idea on fridge? I'll research more now

God I hope I don't have gushers. The bottle I opened first foamed, but very slowly got to the top of the bottle after opening. The one last night immediately started overflowing, but not under a huge amount of pressure or anything. Just overflowed for like 10 seconds.

I threw them in the fridge, as I said. I think this will stop the fermentation. Really, it could be that fermentation didn't end (it was at 1.012 for 2 weeks with no changes), or that I over primed, or both.

Hoping this batch doesn't get wasted. It has been a hit with everyone that's tasted it.

Sounds like a gusher. Bummer. good call keeping it cold from here on out. My first go at belgian Quad turned out a gusher. I keep the bottles in my basement where it's cool, when I want one I put it in the fridge to get as much CO2 into the beer as possible, then crack the cap in the sink. It leaks for a while, then I crack again, and repeat like 10 times over the course of 10-30 minutes. PITA but it works without loosing all the beer.

I love to throw belgian saison yeast at all my worts. I just did a bit with about a gallon of porter, as well as a hoppy brown ale. Here's to hoping they turn out great!

Sounds like a gusher. Bummer. good call keeping it cold from here on out. My first go at belgian Quad turned out a gusher. I keep the bottles in my basement where it's cool, when I want one I put it in the fridge to get as much CO2 into the beer as possible, then crack the cap in the sink. It leaks for a while, then I crack again, and repeat like 10 times over the course of 10-30 minutes. PITA but it works without loosing all the beer.

I love to throw belgian saison yeast at all my worts. I just did a bit with about a gallon of porter, as well as a hoppy brown ale. Here's to hoping they turn out great!

Sounds like a gusher, huh? :/ oh man. Yeah, this isn't getting dumped, because it tates SO good... but at least it was only a 2.5 gal batch, bottled about 2 gal total.

usually if it tastes fine (like no carbonic bite) they may not all be gushers. Maybe that one bottle was not entirely sanitized or the priming sugar wasnt mixed properly

usually if it tastes fine (like no carbonic bite) they may not all be gushers. Maybe that one bottle was not entirely sanitized or the priming sugar wasnt mixed properly

The first did it only a little. The second more so, but it sat for a day longer ... I'll try one tonight after fridging them.
And then I'll try another tonight, and only crack it little by little and let it hiss. I won't be recapping... I'm gonna d rink em all instead lol :mug::mug:

Back