IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildKnight

Reaction score
I am making an IPA and I am wondering how to add the hops. I have 3 oz Columbus, 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Simco and 3 oz Amarillo. I am adding this against 9 lbs amber DME and 1 lb sugar plus Nottingham yeast. How would you add the hops for best flavor and aroma, but not make it too bitter (assuming the sugar dries the beer out a bit)?

I am thinking 2 oz Columbus up front, then mix all but 1 oz amarillo together and add a 1.5 tbs of this mixture every 10 minutes (90 min boil), then at flame off the last 1 oz of amarillo.

Or, mix all together and add 1 tbs every 5 mintues (90 min boil).

Any tips? Idea's?

You're going to need to post the alpha acid content of your hops, as well as the rest of the recipe to get some good feedback.

I can say that 2oz of columbus (a high alpha hop) at the start of a 90 minute boil is going to make an extremely bitter 5 gallon batch of beer.

1.0 oz Columbus @ 90
1 oz Cascade @ 20
.5 oz Columbus
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe @ 10

.5 oz Simcoe @ 0
1 oz Cascade @ 0
.5 oz Amarillo @ 0

Then use the rest Amarillo & Columbus (maybe?) for dry hopping

If you want to do the additions every so often, then take about 4 oz of different types and add them from 20 mins - 0 mins.

If you want a smooth bitterness, then Amarillo is a hop with smooth bitterness qualities.

I would save majority of your hops for the 20 min mark down to flamout.

Back