Ingredients to recipe match app?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcquesten

Reaction score
Ok, not sure if the title makes any sense so here's the thought. I have a bunch of random grain lying around and an chance to brew, problem is, I don't know what to brew. I have plenty of beer on tap, but all fermenters are empty. I can get whatever I need to make a particular type of beer, but would like to use what I have on hand as much as possible.

So, here's the question, can any of the brewing software/apps tell you what you can make with current inventory? For example :

I currently have on hand

20 lb. Munich
4 lb. Vienna
4 lb. 2-row (briess pale)
4 lb. Wheat
2 lb. Belgian pilsner
. 25 lb. Special B
. 5 lb. chocolate
. 25 lb. carafoam
. 25 lb. aromatic
. 75 briess black malt (roasted)

It would be great if there was a way to enter that inventory and get a list of styles that can be made with it. Maybe a percentage of an actual recipe, like "you have 80% of what's needed to make a porter", or here's a list of styles that use those grains. I understand that it would be a long list, but it could be sorted by amounts on hand, or amount of certain grain in recipe.

I really don't have a preference on what to brew, and don't want to go through every style/recipe to come up with something. This isn't typically a problem because I usually know what I want to make and loosely brew to the season. I have Oktoberfast, a double ipa, and a weizenbock on tap right now, and a dopplebock going into keg soon.

Does something like this exist?

No idea if an app like that exists or not but you have a ton on Munich... I'd make a small batch strong ale or a Barley wine or something like that out of all your stuff. Take the 2 row, Belgian Pils, munich, special b, a tad of chocolate, and the aromatic... maybe add the carafoam for good measure... Add some maple syrup or a dark honey to dry it up a bit then add a decent amount of hops. Idk.. maybe about 40-50 IBUs or so. I think if you age it the special B and the munich will age out nicely. This is what I'd do anyway... off the top of my head... :)

I love kitchen sink beers!

2.5 gallon batch

2 lb. Munich
4 lb. 2-row (briess pale)
2 lb. Belgian pilsner
.25 lb. Special B
.1 lb. chocolate
.25 lb. carafoam
.25 lb. aromatic
.5 lb maple syrup 2 days into fermentation
sa05 type yeast

Mash @156 for 60 min with a 90 min boil.

I think the only reason you do not see any apps (yet) is how many possibilities there are that meet the style guidelines. And yes who needs a guideline if it makes great beer.

When I saw all the Munich I though Fest beer!!! :mug:

Back