Ingredient Consolidation/Purchasing/Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys

I could use some help if anyone has the time

Previously I would purchase my grain, hops and yeast from LBS but now looking to purchase my ingredients in bulk and move away from my LBS. I am having trouble finding recipes that have similar ingredients or information that states which hops/yeast/grain can be interchanged. From the recipes I have previously brewed, looks like I would need specific hops, yeast for each one even when 2 are wheat beers for example.

Looking to purchase my hops from hopsdirect
Not exactly sure the best place to purchase yeast from but looking to do starters and reuse.
Sourcing my grain from a local supplier that seems to have great prices on bulk

If anyone has recipes or a good database for recipes or experience/suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/online-homebrew-supplier-comparison-thread-313337/

Here's a good link for price comparisons online. I guess it's all according what styles you are wanting to brew. For bulk hops, I've never bought from hopsdirect, but that is definitely going to change because I'm missing out on those deals. Personally, I brew mostly American ales and German lagers so I want to get a versatile hop that has a medium AA% that I can use for both styles. Something like Liberty, which is basically an American-grown Hallertau. Then, for my Pale Ales and IPAs, I'll probably get a couple Cascade-like hops for flavor and aroma. For yeast, you might as well get that at your LHBS when you buy your bulk grains. Look into getting a lot of Munich with whatever base malt you choose. You won't regret it.

Equipment - Northernbrewer.com
Malt, yeast, odds & ends, misc. equipment, small pkg. hops - Rebelbrewer.com
Bulk hops - Hopsdirect.com or Freshops.com

Thanks theDeutscher and bobbrews

bribo179 my LBS doesnt offer special orders for bulk grain, just what they have already in 50 lb bags.

Anybody else use the same hops across many recipes or order more of one particular grain?

I like Columbus and Chinook for bittering. But flavor/aroma hops should be experimented with. There are so many!

For grain... 2-row, Cara/Crystal malts of your choice, Munich, Wheat, Pilsener malt

Back