Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig90onu

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this looks infected. I brewed this 14 days ago and I am about to transfer it to the secondary. I am still a beginner at brewing and I am not sure about this batch, the crust has been there for about 5 days, it hasn't got any worse but it hasn't got better either. This was supposed to be a blonde ale, so if this batch is infected could the infection change the color of the beer? If I tasted it would it get me sick?

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Looks more like yeast gunk. has the carboy been moved around lately? Sometimes disturbing the sediment can cause co2 to bring trub bits to the surface. Either way, infections look more "filmy". See the pellicle thread in lambic and wild brewing section

Take a hydro sample and try it. It would help to see it outside the carboy, too, to determine color.

If you had fermentation, it's safe to drink. Human pathogens cannot reproduce to any harmful level in properly fermented beer.

Back