Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emgarsh

Reaction score
This is my first AG batch. Porter that has been in primary for 7 days. Is this an infection? Is there any other way to tell aside from appearance?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389136605.645891.jpg

it could be infected but you will be better able to tell after the krausen drops by the taste, smell (in a sample not just by sniffing the fermentor which might smell funky but not be infected) or a pellicle.

Thanks...I'm used to the krausen dropping after this long in the primary which is what alarmed me. The smell and taste of my sample seems normal

Man its just ugly.
Infections are pretty

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Give the bucket a few twists of the handle, tha't'll break it up a bit and it will drop out. Sometimes the yeast stick together and float on top and won't drop down.

Thanks...just being a nervous noob I guess :/ Gravity was where I expected it so I racked it to secondary as is.

I doubt that is an infection. I've seen true infections, and this isn't what I've seen. To repeat what has already been said, it's fine. Carry on.

Looks like healthy beer. Now no more peeking till you do a Final gravity reading.welcome to the wonderful world of home brewing!! Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Looks totally fine. I've never had an infection, but smell is kind of useless I think. Some really tasty beer has smelled god awful during fermentation. From what I have seen taste is the only really good way to determine infection, unless you have literal mold growing on your beer.

Didnt want to create a new thread so im asking here.
I have brewed double IPA last March (IBU 114) so believe me, it has quite an amount of hops inside.
Yesterday I tasted one of a couple bottles left (it has been maturing for a 10 months or so). And a problem was very much bobbles, the foam was flowing of the bottle, I really fought that it got infected or something. But after tasting... It was totally good, everything was acceptable except CO2... Don`t really understand what happened to my beer. After 2-4 months maturing it was perfect, low on C02, high on hops.
And it happened not for the first time, my milk stout - the same story, after 5-6 months it was foaming from the top tasting good. After a year it was foaming and tasting bad, got sourness...So the question is: Can the CO2 somehow increase? I mean while maturing? And does somebody know what really happened? How are you guys maturing your beer for a 2-3, even 5 years? I really thought that double IPA would last longer.

Back