Infected beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphylee83

Reaction score
I’ve tried to look and see if this looks like an infection, but nothing really looks similar to me. The beer is about 3 weeks in, but whatever that is was there after the Krausen

Attachments

• 46900854-9DAC-4D61-B3C5-47EF9856311B.jpeg
    46900854-9DAC-4D61-B3C5-47EF9856311B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 4FFD65E2-2770-4905-8A6C-023F7D009708.jpeg
    4FFD65E2-2770-4905-8A6C-023F7D009708.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • C1CA6101-7E96-471A-9F72-8C54D7A0D836.jpeg
    C1CA6101-7E96-471A-9F72-8C54D7A0D836.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 5A5241E6-02E7-46B7-A10B-083F8814CD5D.jpeg
    5A5241E6-02E7-46B7-A10B-083F8814CD5D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I might be wrong, but it looks to me to be a case of demonic possession. Have you or anyone in your household been practicing any of the dark arts close to the fermenter at all?
I had this myself once and ended up having to get a priest in to bless the place, as everything I tried didn't seem to help.
Best of luck, hopefully its a fairly benign one.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but it looks to me to be a case of demonic possession. Have you or anyone in your household been practicing any of the dark arts close to the fermenter at all?
I had this myself once and ended up having to get a priest in to bless the place, as everything I tried didn't seem to help.
Best of luck, hopefully its fairly a fairly benign one.
😂 I hope it doesn’t taste like it, and a demon comes out the other end 🤦‍♂️

i'd think if yeast rafts, if you jiggle it back and forth, should drop them out? not sure on that, but it's works for me in a big bucket with a spoon...

As long as it smells good your OK. As others have stated simply looks like rafts. I'd do what Brac said. Swirl it around a little, that should get it moving and it will probably fall to the bottom. Either way, rack your beer out into a serving keg or bottling vessel. I think you're good.

Just looks like yeast on top. Sometimes it does that. Some strains more so than others. Go have a beer somewhere else and leave it alone.

I wouldn't move it to a secondary unless you are very experienced in transferring beer. It's really not a beginner thing to do. Why they recommend it in kits is beyond my understanding. I keep my beers in the primary for as long as is needed. Think of your bottles or kegs as being your secondary.

Hope that's not a pale ale or IPA!

Just looks like yeast on top. Sometimes it does that. Some strains more so than others. Go have a beer somewhere else and leave it alone.

I wouldn't move it to a secondary unless you are very experienced in transferring beer. It's really not a beginner thing to do. Why they recommend it in kits is beyond my understanding. I keep my beers in the primary for as long as is needed. Think of your bottles or kegs as being your secondary.

Hope that's not a pale ale or IPA!
Neh, it’s a lager 😂 just messin man. It’s a chocolate stout, but we will see how it ends up… so should I wait till the yeast falls to the bottom, or would it be perfectly fine to go ahead and bottle?

… so should I wait till the yeast falls to the bottom, or would it be perfectly fine to go ahead and bottle?
You are only interested in the stuff between the top and bottom, so I'd think you could bottle/keg whenever you think it's time. I usually opt to leave stuff in the FV well after I reach my FG so everything making it cloudy or murky falls out on it's own.

Given enough time, the stuff on top might go to the bottom and it might not. As you've just found out a little encouragement sometimes is helpful.

Im so glad I cant see my fermentation, I would be so paranoid about infection if I did. Mine are all close transferred and i try them a week after sitting on co2 and then im like, is this ok?

Back