I'm gonna make a crazy ass red ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drives_a_bike

Reaction score
There, I said it...

At first I wanted to make a Sucks clone. It's evolved...and now I don't care about a Sucks clone, now I'm doing my own thing for a fun and crazy red IPA that none of my friends will be expecting this winter.

2lbs Marris Otter
2lbs Rye
1lbs Red Wheat
8oz Simpson Golden Naked Oats
8oz Simpson Medium Crystal
4oz chocolate
3.15lbs gold lme
1lbs amber dme
1lbs corn sugar

1oz @60 Columbus
1oz @20 Centennial
1oz @10 Columbus
1oz @5 Centennial
2oz @FO Simcoe
1oz dh Amarillo
1oz dh Centennial
1oz dh Citra
Washed us-05

Og 1.077
FG 1.018
7.8% ABV
70 IBU

The hop bill looks tasty. I have no idea what the malt bill will turn out to be.

Good luck?

donkey.jpg

Haha...okay.

The grain bill is a product of trying to clone Laguanitas Sucks...I just added the crystal. And then the amber dme for a bit more red.

Doesn't sound like there's much faith from the peanut gallery

Lots has changed about this beer. Finally bought all the ingredients...

3lbs 2row
1lbs rye
1lbs golden naked oats
1lbs red wheat
4oz English chocolate
3.15lbs gold lme
1lbs gold dme
1.5lbs honey

1oz warrior@60
1oz Columbus @15
2oz El Dorado @5
2oz Simcoe @FO
1oz Columbus 5 day dh
2oz El Dorado 5 day dh
1oz Simcoe 5 day dh
Washed us-05

Og 1.080
FG 1.020
7.8%
75 IBU

Absolutely! Probably brewing Saturday or Sunday if I can fit in. I started a weeks vacation on Tuesday (one of those where you don't go anywhere, just needed to use it before the end of the year). Somehow I have list of projects and I don't seem to see "brewing red IPA" anywhere on it. Haha

Lots has changed about this beer. Finally bought all the ingredients...

3lbs 2row
1lbs rye
1lbs golden naked oats
1lbs red wheat
4oz English chocolate
3.15lbs gold lme
1lbs gold dme
1.5lbs honey

1oz warrior@60
1oz Columbus @15
2oz El Dorado @5
2oz Simcoe @FO
1oz Columbus 5 day dh
2oz El Dorado 5 day dh
1oz Simcoe 5 day dh
Washed us-05

Og 1.080
FG 1.020
7.8%
75 IBU

I like it- but it won't be "red" in color, at least not from the recipe. I'd put some crystal malt in there for sweetness to counteract all of the intense bittering, although the golden naked oats can give a hint of sweetness also.

I don't see how it won't be red. I put everything into brew pal and I get 15L for the srm. Looks red to me.
I was considering 8oz of aromatic malt, but undecided...I don't have any crystal on hand other than that and no LHBS close.

I don't see how it won't be red. I put everything into brew pal and I get 15L for the srm. Looks red to me.
I was considering 8oz of aromatic malt, but undecided...I don't have any crystal on hand other than that and no LHBS close.

It might fall within style guidelines SRM but I think, given the amout of LME and gold/pale that you may be on the amber side of red. It probably wont be ruby red.

But, if it's styled like a red and it tastes like a red, then it's a red.

It might fall within style guidelines SRM but I think, given the amout of LME and gold/pale that you may be on the amber side of red. It probably wont be ruby red.

But, if it's styled like a red and it tastes like a red, then it's a red.

Has anyone used red x malt in order to get the Ruby red color? I was interested in possibly using it for my ipa for some color, but decided to use Munich and melanoiden. Maybe that could get the Ruby hue that OP is looking for.

Has anyone used red x malt in order to get the Ruby red color? I was interested in possibly using it for my ipa for some color, but decided to use Munich and melanoiden. Maybe that could get the Ruby hue that OP is looking for.

I used it in a test batch for my competition red. It's pretty true to its name, the clearer the beer gets, the more it has this pearlescent red shine through it. I'm happy with it.

Although, for my final competition red I don't think I'll use it.

Back