If you LOVE your job...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you sir and I can tell you take great pride in your work also my brother. In that first picture looks like a Jatoba outline but what is the parquet made from? Is it Ash ? Anyway it looks great. Looks like you use waterbase. Thinking about switching to it 100% Getting tired of chemicals :cross:

Thanks bro!

The first photo is my personal floor.
It's actually white oak with a teak outline. The white oak was a pile of scraps that had been growing in my storage for over 15 years. I had so many different sizes that I decided on the parquet to use it all up. I did indeed use waterbase on it, due to the quick turnaround. I regret it though, as I prefer oil. I'm going to re-finish it after the new year and use oil.

Thanks bro!

The first photo is my personal floor.
It's actually white oak with a teak outline. The white oak was a pile of scraps that had been growing in my storage for over 15 years. I had so many different sizes that I decided on the parquet to use it all up. I did indeed use waterbase on it, due to the quick turnaround. I regret it though, as I prefer oil. I'm going to re-finish it after the new year and use oil.

Awesome. My second guess was white oak. Color is white oak but grain sure looked like ash. Keep the lost art alive my friend:mug:

:D Looked like it, but you didn't say so right away so I though it might be hush hush.

Not really hush hush. But I'm not sure how much they like us to talk since they bought us. Used to be/is Zappos, but under the Amazon wing now.

Although, we've not been warned about posting pics yet, so I'm working in gray area here kinda, but not too worried yet.

pb --- Glad to answer any questions you have tho

I like my job but just like any other job it has its good days and its bad ones too.

I can't show any action shots because cameras are not allowed where I work.

But I work on these and I take great pride in the work I do. The men/women aboard these mammoths depend on the quality of work I do.

Shipfitter by trade.

22464-bremerton-puget-sound-naval-shipyard.jpg

0630_LOC_Nimitz2_t607.jpg

Dylan42 said:
I like my job but just like any other job it has its good days and its bad ones too.

I can't show any action shots because cameras are not allowed where I work.

But I work on these and I take great pride in the work I do. The men/women aboard these mammoths depend on the quality of work I do.

Shipfitter by trade.

PSNS & IMF? I'm at the Everett Detachment.

I work at an academic library processing book/ article requests practically all day. Half day on the computer processing, the other looking for the books throughout the library. It's a job and my co-workers can be a little nutty, but I don't mind it. I don't talk too much to my co-workers because the requests can pile up if you're not on top of them, and the turn-over rate seems to be going up. I swear like three people left already and I'm seeing new faces almost daily.

I work at an academic library processing book/ article requests practically all day. Half day on the computer processing, the other looking for the books throughout the library. It's a job and my co-workers can be a little nutty, but I don't mind it. I don't talk too much to my co-workers because the requests can pile up if you're not on top of them, and the turn-over rate seems to be going up. I swear like three people left already and I'm seeing new faces almost daily.

yeah, it seems like I see new faces daily too.

here is an animal transport we built 2 yrs ago, just found pics recently. It is used by a feedlot. They use it primarily for hospital visits. The doors open and ramp folds down, followed by the inner door/guard rail. They just pull up beside the fence and it lowers over the fence....cool.

feedtruck.JPG

feedtruck1.JPG

feedtruck2.JPG

here's a little project I been workn on lately, it's a stand for a "steam chest" whatever that is! It's 12' square and 40' tall, it'll be clad in insulation and tin and perched 80' up on another structure somewhere in Nebraska.

work1.jpg

work2.jpg

work3.jpg

work4.jpg

work5.jpg

I'm a sheet metal worker. Here's a few projects I'm proud of.

untitled_zps0774c449.jpg

This is a fishtank stand I designed and fabricated for the house. 100 gal saltwater setup.

fishtankstand1_zps6acec68f.jpg

IMG_2412_zpsdd767b52.jpg

Here she is complete in the backroom.

jacket3May122010012_zps6adc5d5e.jpg

This is the movie star locomotive "Sierra #3" built in 1892. Has been seen in films/tv shows like Back to the future 3, High Noon, Petticoat Junction, Lassie, Gunsmoke- the list goes on...most of which ive never heard of.. I designed, fabricated and installed the boiler jacket. She currently rests at Railtown in Jamestown, CA where she gives rides to passengers and sits for display. I built all the stuff primered in light gray.

P7020153_zps835028b1.jpg

Here she is painted.

sierranum3final_zps287681d6.jpg

IMG_0152_zpse12c3b0f.jpg

A sheet metal leaf brake I copied and fabricated for my garage.

P8180009_zpsf0bdb2ad.jpg

A stainless steel windmill for the backyard. This sucker has 4 bearings in it and spins like crazy.

IMG_0694_zps1c5757eb.jpg

Some artistic thing

10029_302289685322_302288340322_9023928_3350681_n_zpsb1ab9844.jpg

This is the boat parking at the Port of Stockton. I did the layout and assembly of Piles and connection beams.

IMG_1427_zps21ddd917.jpg

This is a 120ton Derrick Barge named DB Alameda. I designed and ran the crew that installed the House and most of the metal work. We did pretty much everything you see in white and orange- The house and roof, stairs, handrail, operators cab, crows nest, doors, vents and ducting, and guards. We even did the decals which were the hardest part of the whole job!

IMG_1447_zpscd31ee5c.jpg

DB Alameda works on construction sites all around San Francisco and surrounding areas.

Thanks for letting me share!!

Love the pics! great to see some fellow metal work... the tank stand is very nice.

Here's more from our shop, some kind of deck platform with handrail in the paint booth...

Lookin good! Where is that going? Diamond plate decking?

Thanks for the compliments. What are you by trade?

Not sure where it's going, it gets a grate type decking. I'm a welder/fabricator.

Something im not supposed to touch probably. Like they say if you have to ask the price...

T_Baggins said:
Interesting machine work^^^ what exactly are we lookin' at here?
These are for a company that makes equipment for chemical manufacturing. They make the equipment that makes the ink that money is printed with among other things. Because of this, many of their parts have to be gold plated for corrosion resistance. This copper part is big money too, because the brazing fill is 30% gold and there's a lot of it. Just the brazing operation (we have them sent out) adds $3400 to the final cost of the part. When they get back from the brazing, I have to do a final machining operation on the outer diameters. We've got about $5000 into the part at this point, and it sells for twice that. The tolerances on the final cuts are +/-.0005, and the finish is 5/8 Ra, pretty close to mirror, and this copper likes to scar itself up if the chips wrap up, so I'm puckered until they are all safely done lol.. It's some kind of a super efficient cooling element. The inside is baffled sort of like a radiator. Here's $30,000 worth of them. I don't even like looking at these things.

image-2846073508.jpg

image-3282382245.jpg

Friggin' COOL!

On a another note of "coolness" , There's a storage unit that we build for compressors, motors etc, and it is filled with nitrogen... at least one of the units I personally built has been launched into friggin' space!

These are for a company that makes equipment for chemical manufacturing. They make the equipment that makes the ink that money is printed with among other things. Because of this, many of their parts have to be gold plated for corrosion resistance. This copper part is big money too, because the brazing fill is 30% gold and there's a lot of it. Just the brazing operation (we have them sent out) adds $3400 to the final cost of the part. When they get back from the brazing, I have to do a final machining operation on the outer diameters. We've got about $5000 into the part at this point, and it sells for twice that. The tolerances on the final cuts are +/-.0005, and the finish is 5/8 Ra, pretty close to mirror, and this copper likes to scar itself up if the chips wrap up, so I'm puckered until they are all safely done lol.. It's some kind of a super efficient cooling element. The inside is baffled sort of like a radiator. Here's $30,000 worth of them. I don't even like looking at these things.

I'd be so freaking tempted to run a batch of hot wort through..."I thought about a new Therminator but it just doesn't have that je ne se quoi. Wanna see something REALLY cool? Hold my beer and check THIS **** out!"

T_Baggins said:
Friggin' COOL! On a another note of "coolness" , There's a storage unit that we build for compressors, motors etc, and it is filled with nitrogen... at least one of the units I personally built has been launched into friggin' space!
Cool, isn't it? I've got tons of stuff I made in space. We make parts of the ignition systems for the booster rockets that detach, and we also make parts for a company that does a lot of the electronics equipment, who we colloquially refer to as ******* Lab.
TANSTAAFB said:
I'd be so freaking tempted to run a batch of hot wort through..."I thought about a new Therminator but it just doesn't have that je ne se quoi. Wanna see something REALLY cool? Hold my beer and check THIS **** out!"
ha! That would be awesome.

image-3769165639.jpg

man, those things are nuts! the price tag is insane and they aren't even that big... that is just... NUTS! i want to own the company for whomeever is ordering those! haha

I work for a company called LS9. I focus on scaling up the fermentation process to larger and larger scales. We were thinking of doing an inaugural beer fermentation on that bigger tank when we first got it. Then we realized it came from an old pharmaceutical company who used it to make unknown drugs. No thanks.

How funny. I work for a small life science company that supplies yours with reagents. Small world.

Back