If you LOVE your job...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i enjoy my job quite a bit...
I work for kroger doing desktop support. Not that exciting to look at, but it's pretty fun! (panorama is weird doing it this close)

IMG_20130626_094435_800_zpsa7d3f34b.jpg

IMG_20130626_094321_605_zps602c5e9f.jpg

although if you take a random vacation day.... sometimes you come back to this.

2013-04-11_09-01-25_576_zps3a574475.jpg

Can't post pictures due to HIPPA, but I love working with patients.

Selling homes is also pretty darn awesome.

I'm not sure if I love my job, or just like it a whole lot. I'm an operator at a chemical plant. Most of the time it just runs itself; you just make minor tweaks here or there. Sometimes it's more stressful if something is going on. Other times you will be freezing or sweating your ass off outside working on something. Definitely the best job I've ever had. I work swing shift, and spent the better part of last night reading this forum on my phone. Doesn't really get much better than that.

View attachment 121618

Almost finished! And almost all salvage. Heart of Eastern Red Cedar, Black Walnut, walnut compass, (all trees from clearing/storm damage) surround with white oak, 3 band, spalted red oak, 5 band, white oak, with the black walnut, heart of eastern red cedar, pin stripped oak and antique heart of pine, trimmed with oak. The N is for Nautalis and is from an oak Burl, giving a change of grain pattern. The driftwood base juxtaposes the finished top playing with the rough seas, with shiny new brass screws. This was a fun one, hope it sells. Just got a new commission for a metal top table, can't wait to bust out the MIG!

Fun part was playing with the numbers, even/odd, I like sneaking in Masonic stuff, hahaha aha

Oh My... this is lovely.

I didn't love my job two nights ago.

We were dispatched to a single vehicle accident and I had the distinct displeasure of pronouncing the single occupant dead.

He just turned 18... Just graduated high school. From everything I've heard he was a little wild but a good kid.

Ugh.

On the plus side, last night was peaceful. No calls. I got to sleep. That means no one else in my territory had a bad night.

We were dispatched to a single vehicle accident and I had the distinct displeasure of pronouncing the single occupant dead.

He just turned 18... Just graduated high school. From everything I've heard he was a little wild but a good kid.

Ugh.

On the plus side, last night was peaceful. No calls. I got to sleep. That means no one else in my territory had a bad night.

Man that sucks, sorry to hear that.

Ugh.

That's tough man. You alright?

Yeah, I'm fine.. thanks guys.

I guess I should have included some of my other patients in my mini-rant.. the breathing difficulty, the diabetic crisis, the broken hip... all people I could and did help. It all balances out. Kinda.

Sorry, I hate my job. Pay is good. Bennies are good. Hours suck. Fellow employees suck (mostly). Although it's nice to see that there are some that like/love what they do. It gives me something to aspire to.

Pretty much describes my job. I'm working on a new opportunity. I hope it pans out.

MaddBaggins said:
Pretty much describes my job. I'm working on a new opportunity. I hope it pans out.

Man I feel for you guys. I was in a bad spot for 8 years with my last company. I made good money, decent benefits but absolutely hated what I did and didn't care for most of the people I worked with. My wife took an opportunity/promotion in Reno, I quit and took about 6 weeks off to gather myself and ended up with a job in a brewery. Best decision of our lives. Maybe not financially but we are both so much happier.

Good luck on the new opportunity.

Cheers!

I have a great job . Not really worth a pic . I drive a truck . A end dump to be exact . Deliver rock and sand to concrete and asphalt plants and the like . Decent pay and I go home every night . None of that over the road stuff. Rarely do any physical labor . No boss looking over my shoulder . Mostly drive down the highway so not a lot of city traffic to bring on the road rage .

MarcusKillion said:
I have a great job . Not really worth a pic . I drive a truck . A end dump to be exact . Deliver rock and sand to concrete and asphalt plants and the like . Decent pay and I go home every night . None of that over the road stuff. Rarely do any physical labor . No boss looking over my shoulder . Mostly drive down the highway so not a lot of city traffic to bring on the road rage .

I'm glad you make good money doing something you like. I looked into getting a job driving a concrete truck in college. I didn't have a CDL, so they weren't interested. They only payed $8/hr too. Glad I didn't pursue it now.

I'm glad you make good money doing something you like. I looked into getting a job driving a concrete truck in college. I didn't have a CDL, so they weren't interested. They only payed $8/hr too. Glad I didn't pursue it now.
probably should not drag this on too much here but that is about it for cement truck or dump truck maybe up to 10 or so . More for end dump but even some of them are only 10 to 12 an hour . I get paid by the ton I haul , 22% of the take .

Like I said, glad you make good money doing something you like. You said descent money. I took that as good. It's important to do something you like doing. I love it when I get to drive stuff at work, but those days are few and far between. Only forklifts and man lifts for me unfortunately. Also, that $8 was 10 years ago. I pray they make at least the $10 you reference now.

Fresh in from my shop! This is what they call a transition, but it's exactly what it looks like, a giant funnel.

The sheet metal is 7ga stainless, the stiffeners are 3/4" carbon and the flanges are 1" carbon.
All of the stainless to stainless joints were welded uphill, and half of the carbon to stainless joints were uphill and half flat/horizontal. Two machines, 4 different wires, 2 different gases and probly 20 different settings to achieve all this. Weighs in at 4,287 lbs!!!

IMG952013071395124148.jpg

IMG952013071395124135.jpg

IMG952013071395105110.jpg

IMG952013071395105055.jpg

IMG952013071395104934.jpg

T_Baggins said:
Fresh in from my shop! This is what they call a transition, but it's exactly what it looks like, a giant funnel.

The sheet metal is 7ga stainless, the stiffeners are 3/4" carbon and the flanges are 1" carbon.
All of the stainless to stainless joints were welded uphill, and half of the carbon to stainless joints were uphill and half flat/horizontal. Two machines, 4 different wires, 2 different gases and probly 20 different settings to achieve all this. Weighs in at 4,287 lbs!!!

That's pretty impressive craftsmanship right there! Might I ask what those transitions are used for?

That's pretty impressive craftsmanship right there! Might I ask what those transitions are used for?

well the last ones we built were for some kind of ash, the after birth from dirt that was contaminated with oil.

T_Baggins said:
well the last ones we built were for some kind of ash, the after birth from dirt that was contaminated with oil.

Just the words after birth sent chills up my spine! Thinking of my daughter's birth 6 years ago...

Software Engineer here. Work on improving, fixing and making faster the 'database the runs the internet' (MySQL). Work from home in northern AZ so my backyard and garden is my office most of the year. In the winter I am forced into the basement :(

Software Engineer here. Work on improving, fixing and making faster the 'database the runs the internet' (MySQL). Work from home in northern AZ so my backyard and garden is my office most of the year. In the winter I am forced into the basement :(

Move to Pheonix?:D

I currently am a maint. tech at a distribution facility. I work 3rd shift and love my job. Work with a great team and get plenty of time off.

loqLqKGtE507e4eh0cCLs0JGYj5KlUgcOhYQmGK94xc=w173-h115-p-no

kVkAXG61QN-VSrDE4SOEafM6GRwLiQjiYwJWq2KfQNA=w160-h120-p-no

sxU84FSap78UbaH1kQQgnfVwgLTI7or2_QvZm1M3RiY=w173-h130-p-no

The pics are of some of the conveyor system I help to keep running. There's over 10 miles of it. All controlled by plc's.

We fill close to 150k orders on slow days.

The one with the orange line down the side is a sorter.
Here one of me inside changing a motor. (It has 14 of them.)

T2xUkxV14KhMgFsQE8XQih7ergpXgkuR7fuOdbcePb0=w173-h129-p-no

pb

plumber_bob said:
I currently am a maint. tech at a distribution facility. I work 3rd shift and love my job. Work with a great team and get plenty of time off.

The pics are of some of the conveyor system I help to keep running. There's over 10 miles of it. All controlled by plc's.

pb

That's cool plumber_bob. I toured a Walmart distribution enter once when I worked for them. Crazy cool automation on the lines.

loqLqKGtE507e4eh0cCLs0JGYj5KlUgcOhYQmGK94xc=w173-h115-p-no

kVkAXG61QN-VSrDE4SOEafM6GRwLiQjiYwJWq2KfQNA=w160-h120-p-no

sxU84FSap78UbaH1kQQgnfVwgLTI7or2_QvZm1M3RiY=w173-h130-p-no

T2xUkxV14KhMgFsQE8XQih7ergpXgkuR7fuOdbcePb0=w173-h129-p-no

pb

Is this somewhere I order online form mayhaps?

Nice TNGabe! this is what I'm talk'n 'bout ...love the pics. At my job I'm about to start construction of 66 hose reels that are 8' long and the spool ends are about 5' in dia. 57hrs per unit! The first two are going to a military show. I'll post pics in the near future.

Nice TNGabe! this is what I'm talk'n 'bout ...love the pics. At my job I'm about to start construction of 66 hose reels that are 8' long and the spool ends are about 5' in dia. 57hrs per unit! The first two are going to a military show. I'll post pics in the near future.

Not my job Baggins. (you probably don't listen to 'Wait, wait, don't tell me) I was quoting PlummerBob. My job is buying crap at auctions and selling it for more than I payed. Less automation, better people watching.:D

That is total WOW work!! Well done!

I did remodels for years in the Tahoe area it takes pride and lots of it to do remodels right. You do very good work my friend!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks a lot Jay! I really appreciate the compliment!

Nice work brother!

Thank you sir and I can tell you take great pride in your work also my brother. In that first picture looks like a Jatoba outline but what is the parquet made from? Is it Ash ? Anyway it looks great. Looks like you use waterbase. Thinking about switching to it 100% Getting tired of chemicals :cross:

Back