If a Grisette and a Grätzer had a baby...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeppilot

Reaction score
I have never done either style and want to do this for an event, so here’s my thoughts:

5.3% ABV

65% Pilsner
30% Weyermann Oak-smoked Wheat
5% Vienna
Mash 149F
Hallertau at 20 minutes to 20 IBU
Blend of WY3724 and WLP565

Questions are:

Do I need a higher smoked wheat percentage? Looking for a subtle smoke, and subtle yeast characteristics that don’t overpower each other.

Will the smoke and saison yeasts complement each other or be too competing together?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
Well, the gratzette is finished! It is better than I envisioned. Smoke level is just what I had hoped for. It is noticeable, but smooth and invites the next sip. My LHBS had the WY3725 Biere de Mars and I went with that instead of the above mentioned yeast combo. It gave it a terrific balancing malty sweetness and it has just a touch of Belgian esters thanks to a cool fermentation. It has a thick creamy head and nice lacing. Also, I went with .5 oz Magnum for bittering and 1 oz Strisselpalt at 15 minutes for the remainder. All in all, a terrific beer I thought would be a one off, but I’ll definitely make again. [emoji482]

IMG_1655.JPG

Last edited:
Well, the gratzette is finished! It is better than I envisioned. Smoke level is just what I had hoped for. It is noticeable, but smooth and invites the next sip. My LHBS had the WY3725 Biere de Mars and I went with that instead of the above mentioned yeast combo. It gave it a terrific balancing malty sweetness and it has just a touch of Belgian esters thanks to a cool fermentation. It has a thick creamy head and nice lacing. Also, I went with .5 oz Magnum for bittering and 1 oz Strisselpalt at 15 minutes for the remainder. All in all, a terrific beer I thought would be a one off, but I’ll definitely make again. [emoji482]

View attachment 645078

Sounds great. I make a Lichtenhainer which is a smoked sour. It’s brilliant.

Sounds great. I make a Lichtenhainer which is a smoked sour. It’s brilliant.

I’m a big fan of the smoked beers, when done well of course. A local brewery here Wiseacre sometimes makes a smoked Helles that is just awesome. And a guy in one of the local brew clubs makes a Lichtenhainer also. His was the first time I’d ever had the style.

Back