Experimental Barbarian IPA - Comments on water profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unviewtiful

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Conan (OYL-052 DIPA Ale)
Yeast Starter: Yes (~330B cells)
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 54.21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.97
ABV: 6.92%

Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

FERMENTABLES:
19 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (77.6%)
2 lb - American - Vienna (8.2%)
2 lb - American - Wheat (8.2%)
1.5 lb - Cane Sugar (6.1%)

HOPS:
1.75 oz - Apollo, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.3, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 54.21
3 oz - Experimental #07270, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.6, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 212 °F
1.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 212 °F
5 oz - Experimental #07270, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.6, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F
2.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F
6 oz - Experimental #07270, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.6, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
150 F, 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.35 qt/lb

FERMENTATION:
Start at 66 F for 5 days, ramp to 70 F.
Dry hop after 7 days
Cold crash for 2 days

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Ca2: 65
Mg2: 10
Na: 8
Cl: 42
SO4: 145
HCO3: 0
Water Notes:
Start with RO, add (in g/gal):
0.70 Gypsum
0.40 Epsom Salt
0.30 Calcium Chloride
Add 6 oz Acid malt for estimated mash pH 5.3

This is my second time adjusting my water profile, and the first time turned out a great beer (blonde). I'm sure I'll continue to experiment with the sulfate/chloride ratio for hoppy beers in the future, but I wanted to make sure this was a good starting point.

As for the hops, I picked up a pound of the #07270 a couple months ago and recently got some Conan yeast, figured the two flavor profiles would complement each other nicely. Asking around, I was told that the hops are best when balanced with something with a more citrusy profile, hence the Citra. The grain bill is close to what I've used in other IPAs that I enjoyed, so I'm getting close to a "house" IPA base.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Hey, that's a great looking recipe. I might give it a go (subbing something for the experimental hops of course!).

The water profile looks like a good starting point, but I've found it really good to find where my own 'sulfate sweetpoint' is. Brew it like this, then brew it with a bit more sulphate (maybe 180ppm) then a bit more etc. until you go past what you like. It really helps with APA's and IPA's. A lot of APA/IPA profiles have sulphate at 300ppm or more.

For the record, I like about 180-200ppm (chloride about 50ppm).

Looks like a good recipe to me. I'm a huge fan of Vienna malt in my ipas. Not gonna lie though, I didn't notice when that the batch size was 11 gals when I first looked over the recipe and thought... 1.5 lbs of cane sugar in a 5 gallon batch!? Holy crap! Haha. Can't comment on the experimental hop but the water profile looks good. I (like @Gnomebrewer) tend to push my sulfate levels closer to 200ppm and with chlorides down near 40ppm.

I assume by the large hopstands and peach/mango hop/yeast choice, you are looking for something a bit more "juicy" in final profile? I have been digging the "higher chloride than sulfate" IPAs that people are starting to do for that purpose. I like vienna like you do (have also had success with mild malt).

This is one of my favorite threads going right now:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

I assume by the large hopstands and peach/mango hop/yeast choice, you are looking for something a bit more "juicy" in final profile? I have been digging the "higher chloride than sulfate" IPAs that people are starting to do for that purpose. I like vienna like you do (have also had success with mild malt).

This is one of my favorite threads going right now:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

Interesting read, thanks! Would the corn/cane sugar added to my recipe (with the intent of a drier finish) sort of "negate" the fuller mouthfeel effect of the higher chloride?

Also thanks to @kev211 and @Gnomebrewer for the feedback. I'll be brewing this on Sunday so I'll keep you guys updated.

Interesting read, thanks! Would the corn/cane sugar added to my recipe (with the intent of a drier finish) sort of "negate" the fuller mouthfeel effect of the higher chloride?

Also thanks to @kev211 and @Gnomebrewer for the feedback. I'll be brewing this on Sunday so I'll keep you guys updated.

Im hardly an expert so Ill try to answer this to the best of my ability. First, I dont think that your chloride is that high to cause it to have too much body/sweetness or negate the cane sugar addition (also, I do like my IPA's dry, but they do need to have some body so thats where, at least in my head, the 40-50ppm chloride helps). Also, you are using calcium chloride, where you get calcium, which is needed for yeast health/attenuation and beer clarity and also chloride. So, if it were me I would maybe try to bump that So4 up, but I think even with your current numbers your beer should turn out great

6% cane sugar isnt gonna make any IPA thin bodied. Especially with some wheat in it. I'll go as high as 10% in my regular strength IPAs and ive never run into issues with body. Conan yeats help out with it too

Finally tapped this beer and took some to my local homebrew club meeting last night.

Ran into a couple issues on the brew day and took a hit on efficiency, leaving me with an OG of 1.058, and it finished at 1.008 when I kegged it last week. The general consensus was some citrus up front, then a strong peach/tropical aroma and flavor with a crisp, dry finish. When I first tasted it the other day, it drank more like a 70ish IBU beer, but it was much more mellow last night. A very tasty brew, and I'm now a fan of Conan yeast. I could easily find myself throwing back 3 or 4 of these in a night.

Not sure how I feel about the split hopstand, I'd like to try it again with the same amount of hops all added at 180F.

Back