IDEA: Ultimate Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you should post here today. I finally got some of the parts I need for the upgraded rig. The boiler is getting an update, and I will soon be purchasing another kettle for the mash tun. I expect the new rig to be operational later this summer (as the finishing touch to the new brew hut).

I'm going to do some trial runs with a steam mixing system like kladue uses. If that goes well, there will be little need to stir during infusion. If not, I'll explore the steam paddle idea some more.

No luck yet with the pH sensor...mostly due to moving and focusing on the brew hut.

Hi Yuri,
Is Kladue's that inline steam diffuser into the wort, like a RIMS using steam rather than an element?

For the Mash Tun, I don't suppose you are working on a 'double shell' or 'pot within pot' with insulation between are you? If so, have you posted on this design anywhere?

Also, if you do ever get back to steam through the paddles, which I am flirting with myself right now, what do you think of coupling a gear motor to one of these (select swivel joints in the 'Groupings' pull down menu): http://www.ryco.com.au/AdaptorGrouping.aspx

Cheers.

Any update on this?

I'm working on a stirred steam injection system as well. Hopefully, to be up and running by year end.

And so it begins:

mashtun.jpg

The Blichmann 30 gallon BoilerMaker false bottom just happens to fit nicely inside the 20 gallon MegaPot sold by Northern Brewer. I'll need to fabricate a collar to deal with the minor gap around the circumference, but I don't anticipate that being difficult. Also, I plan on draining through the bottom of the mash/lauter tun rather than the side.

As usual...progress will be slow, but check back for updates.

Any update on this?

I'm working on a stirred steam injection system as well. Hopefully, to be up and running by year end.

Cool! They are the best. mine is about 2 years old. It was finished just before we moved. Don't have a shed yet, but you can see the cooler on the shelf. the black thing on top is the motor. One of those pressure cookers is the boiler. Steam enters the bottom of the stir arm and exits holes in the stir bars. Step mashes are so nice with this rig.
brew_junk.jpg

Once the brewery is set up again, i'll put up some photos.
Good luck on your build.

Cool! They are the best. mine is about 2 years old. It was finished just before we moved. Don't have a shed yet, but you can see the cooler on the shelf. the black thing on top is the motor. One of those pressure cookers is the boiler. Steam enters the bottom of the stir arm and exits holes in the stir bars. Step mashes are so nice with this rig.
brew_junk.jpg

Once the brewery is set up again, i'll put up some photos.
Good luck on your build.

Great stuff.
What did you use as the connecting bit that allows injection of steam and revolution of shaft?

Great stuff.
What did you use as the connecting bit that allows injection of steam and revolution of shaft?
Right to the heart of it. There is a bunch of my junk still boxed and stacked in the shop or I'd send a photo now. when I get it out I'll post then.

The part you are interested in is machined from Teflon 1 1/2" rod stock. Both ends are female. one end is 3/8" NPT. The other end is machined to fit over 3/8" 304 stainless pipe. There is a shoulder for the pipe to rest against and a groove for an "O" ring. the pipe is polished where it fits down into the fitting.
later....

Still waiting for that picture.
There are cobwebs between my forehead and the screen.

Back