I think I made an oopsie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlowWorm821

Reaction score
Making my first solo Melomel. Red Raspberry per JK's recipe. I racked the red fermented beauty into a one gallon carboy with a crushed campden tablet and potassium sorbate per the directions. Stupidly, seeing the CT and sorbate weren't dissolving, I shook the piss out of the thing...oxidation much? What do I do to save this (if it's even a problem)?

Cheers!

All the spoons broken at your house?

It'll be fine unless the headspace was enormous.

Spoon? What are spoon? Like I said, stupid. I've got about 2" of head space. I'm going to roll with it. If it turns out: great. If not, I'll file this under "Lessons Learned".

Well I suspect that while it wasn't the smartest move to shake the hell out of it, you'll likely have just filled the airspace with sulphite vapour from the crushed tablet. It was likely the sorbate that was taking its time to dissolve. The acidity of the brew would have gone to work on the sulphites quick enough......

Should be ok.....

Back