I need your support - brewing one beer a day for a year!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to lose momentum of the of all of the kind posts earlier in this thread, so please check out Facebook.com/breweveryday for updates. Maybe I should start a new thread that isn't in "Introductions".

Thank you! It's getting close! The site needs a serious update... Not even worth visiting right now. I will spend some time on it in the next few weeks. I look forward to having some good results to share once some of the experiments are bottled.

Am I missing any good caramel/crystal malts for the the first series?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403926428.747105.jpg

Have fun with your adventure. Don't use your pasta spoon in your wort and don't forget to prime.....again!! Very jealous of your adventure, have fun.

Ozzy

I'm sure I will do a lot worse over the course of a year. Nothing so far that couldn't be repaired...

I just finished with day 25 of the Year of Beer. I am still looking for ideas for future series and experiments!

You dont see to have listed crystal wheat or crystal rye. Both are great additions

Start picking out your favorite brews and start variations with vienna, Munich and wheat.

You can always mix up your base malts with pilsner, marris otter and golden promise.

I did not see Special B in your list of crystals, another to the list!

Looking forward to the future batches

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Start picking out your favorite brews and start variations with vienna, Munich and wheat.

You can always mix up your base malts with pilsner, marris otter and golden promise.

I did not see Special B in your list of crystals, another to the list!

Looking forward to the future batches

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have used a lot of two row so far and will use Marris Otter for sure in a lot of future brews. I'm sure the others will cross my path at some point. I've never used Golden Promise, but I've been really interested in using it for a peated Scotch ale.

I did Special B a few days ago. I am going to add Melanoidin.

That crystal malt series you posted looks really thorough. That's awesome.

I think another series based on hop schedules could be really interesting. Pick a grain bill that you like, and do different combinations of late-hopping (15 min. and under) along with different rates of dry-hopping. That could possibly get boring once you start drinking them, if there isn't a huge difference in the results. But it could also help you figure out what sort of hop schedule you prefer.

I think another series based on hop schedules could be really interesting. Pick a grain bill that you like, and do different combinations of late-hopping (15 min. and under) along with different rates of dry-hopping. That could possibly get boring once you start drinking them, if there isn't a huge difference in the results. But it could also help you figure out what sort of hop schedule you prefer.

I am definitely planning that experiment! I thought it would be best to wait until spring to make a lot of really hoppy beers (I'm looking forward to stouts and porters right now!). I might not be able to wait that long, but I will try.

Also, I want to do a lot of foundational experiments first so that when I'm tweaking hop and grain bills, I know what I'm working with. The Crystal experiment has been great, even before tasting any of them! Next is a pour VS siphon series to see if it is worth the time and effort to leave cold break behind. After that, probably some variations on mash temps followed by yeast experiments. Keep the suggestions coming!

I am definitely planning that experiment! I thought it would be best to wait until spring to make a lot of really hoppy beers (I'm looking forward to stouts and porters right now!). I might not be able to wait that long, but I will try.

Also, I want to do a lot of foundational experiments first so that when I'm tweaking hop and grain bills, I know what I'm working with. The Crystal experiment has been great, even before tasting any of them! Next is a pour VS siphon series to see if it is worth the time and effort to leave cold break behind. After that, probably some variations on mash temps followed by yeast experiments. Keep the suggestions coming!

I'm in Charlotte and would be happy to help out somehow. I could contribute some wort, or some yeast slurry or whatever. I actually have a huge pitch of S-04 in the frig that I just harvested a couple days ago - needs to be used sooner than later. Could make life easier for a while if you could just scoop a little into the fermenter. PM me if you're interested.

Good luck on this, the most noble of beer quests. Cheers man.

Yay! I was looking for this thread the other day so I could follow your progress. I couldn't find it so I figured you had not gone through with it. I'm glad to see that you are already 25 brews deep!

I'm in Charlotte and would be happy to help out somehow. I could contribute some wort, or some yeast slurry or whatever. I actually have a huge pitch of S-04 in the frig that I just harvested a couple days ago - needs to be used sooner than later. Could make life easier for a while if you could just scoop a little into the fermenter. PM me if you're interested.

Good luck on this, the most noble of beer quests. Cheers man.

Thats really kind of you. I would love to use some S-04! I was thinking of doing a series on beers of the British Isles, so that would be perfect for several of them. When is a good time to meet up? Maybe at a bottle shop - I would love to buy you a beer!

Yay! I was looking for this thread the other day so I could follow your progress. I couldn't find it so I figured you had not gone through with it. I'm glad to see that you are already 25 brews deep!

Thanks for following! I'm in too deep to not follow through now! I post everyday on my Facebook page and will update the website once I have results to post. I don't want to run the site as a daily blog but more as a site with articles on the results of experiments.

Thats really kind of you. I would love to use some S-04! I was thinking of doing a series on beers of the British Isles, so that would be perfect for several of them. When is a good time to meet up? Maybe at a bottle shop - I would love to buy you a beer!

No worries man. I'll send you a PM about meeting up.

Cheers.

There was (what I consider) a great experiment done on the brulosophy blog about leaving break material behind or transferring it over. He did a cream ale, and split it into two batches. One with a ton of trub, and the other with as little as possible. The general consensus was the one with all the trub was better. Cleaner, clearer, better tasting. It even went on to win a local competition. It would be cool to see someone else do a similar experiment and see if it agrees.
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

There was (what I consider) a great experiment done on the brulosophy blog about leaving break material behind or transferring it over. He did a cream ale, and split it into two batches. One with a ton of trub, and the other with as little as possible.

Someone else sent me a link to that website. I have enjoyed each of his experiments, but especially that one because I have always siphoned and would love the convenience of simply pouring if it results in quality beer. Thanks for the reference!

I was thinking if I had more time, I would do an experiment with adding hops at different point in the process, like in the Mash, 60 min, 45, 30,15,10,5,whirlpool, And see the balance between bitterness and aroma. I hear that adding the hops at mash gives it a cleaner flavor. Also, if you use a dual purpose hop you can see how it transitions.

I was thinking if I had more time, I would do an experiment with adding hops at different point in the process, like in the Mash, 60 min, 45, 30,15,10,5,whirlpool, And see the balance between bitterness and aroma. I hear that adding the hops at mash gives it a cleaner flavor. Also, if you use a dual purpose hop you can see how it transitions.

I will definitely do a hop timing series. I haven't tried first wort hopping yet, but I look forward to giving it a try!

First, this is truly amazing! You are a Homebrew hero (Start singing Foreigners Jukebox Hero repeatedly and substitue Homebrew for Jukebox)!

Just wanted to know if you are figuring out ways to speed certain things up, like are you keep a container of sanitizer ready to go, or making a new batch up everyday? I read all the posts but I may have missed it, how are you priming in a more efficient manner? Is there an up to date calendar? Looks like the one online has fallen to the wayside (which I understand, time for the interwebs is not the highest priority).

Keep up the good brewing! :mug:

First, this is truly amazing! You are a Homebrew hero (Start singing Foreigners Jukebox Hero repeatedly and substitue Homebrew for Jukebox)!

Just wanted to know if you are figuring out ways to speed certain things up, like are you keep a container of sanitizer ready to go, or making a new batch up everyday? I read all the posts but I may have missed it, how are you priming in a more efficient manner? Is there an up to date calendar? Looks like the one online has fallen to the wayside (which I understand, time for the interwebs is not the highest priority).

Keep up the good brewing! :mug:

Thanks for the encouragement. I do keep a 5 gallon bucket of sanitizer that I change out once a week or more. I have a cabinet in the kitchen dedicated and organized with daily use items like scales, thermometers, refractometer, siphon and tubing, bottling wand, some grain/hop bags, and stoppers. I keep my FastRack (very helpful) on top of the fridge. I have started to wear an apron which keeps needed items close by (and keeps my daughters' hands off of fragile equiptment).

I bottle directly out of the fermenter with the bottles in my sink (my biggest time savings come from avoiding mess) and use sugar cubes to prime. However, I will soon be ordering a powder measurer made for filling ammunition cartridges with precise amounts of powder and experimenting with dosing each bottle with sugar. The cubes work really well though! I can usually bottle in about 10 minutes, including scrubbing bottles.

The website is a mess for sure - no offense taken! I will update the calendar as soon as possible with what I have done and what I'm looking forward to over the next months. I use BrewersFriend software which keeps me much more organized than the website would make me appear.

Great effort!! Maybe you could try a yeast reuse experiment and see how many fermentations a particular yeast can support before you see a degradation in quality. You would probably just use a simple SMASH recipe repeatedly to eliminate some variability.

I will do this! I am 70 days into the year as of today and am using a 4th generation with good results. I could even do 10 or 20 days straight of reusing the previous day's blow off. That would be 10 generations in 10 days!

Glad to hear you're still keeping it going Matthew. Hope the S-04 worked out. Let's get together and grab another beer some time.

Cheers and good luck with the brews.

I love seeing all the pictures and videos you've been sharing on facebook. I just recently got a full-time job after being in grad school for a couple years, so my brewing has been interrupted a bit. It's nice to brew vicariously through your daily batches.

I especially liked that you even brewed while on vacation and brought home fermenting wort.

Keep it up!

I love seeing all the pictures and videos you've been sharing on facebook. I just recently got a full-time job after being in grad school for a couple years, so my brewing has been interrupted a bit. It's nice to brew vicariously through your daily batches.

I especially liked that you even brewed while on vacation and brought home fermenting wort.

Keep it up!

Thank you for following and for the encouragement. I really thought that I would be posting a lot more, but technology and time constraints have held me back. I am upgrading my tech and taking a vacation at the end of the month ad I hope to catch up on updating the site and posting recipes.

Congrats on the Masters Degree and new job!!

I am going to the beach again soon and will do another vacation series. Any ideas?

Glad to hear you're still keeping it going Matthew. Hope the S-04 worked out. Let's get together and grab another beer some time.

Cheers and good luck with the brews.

Thanks, Nate! The yeast is in generation four now. I will save you a bottle of every one that I use it for. I have some time off in the next few weeks- let's catch up!

Has a Lacto soured theme been suggested yet?
How I envisage it is you do a series of no boil or short boil batches,primary with lacto(brevis) and then ale yeast. The inteesting thing is a)how different ale yeasts contribute and b) how differnt hops used mainly in a dry hop impact the beer.
My second two pence worth there,hope you keep at it and keep on enjoying it!

Back