I need whiskey barrel ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solavirtus

Reaction score
For an excellent gift, SWMBO bought me a used 10 gallong whiskey barrel because she'd heard me carrying on about how it would be nice to get one to age a beer in. She got it from Finger Lakes Distilling - http://fingerlakesdistilling.com/ - and she was told it previously held a wheat whiskey and a rye whiskey. It smells amazing.

So my question to HBT is, what are some recommendations for what to put in it? I've never done an oaked beer before, but I have had plenty of commercial examples that I like.

That was my first thought. I did an RIS about year ago, so I'm kind of thinking along different lines. Plus, some of the barrel-aged beers I've had that were not RIS were quite good. Any thoughts on a big robust porter or big american amber ale?

I just had a bourbon barrel aged porter last week ... it was good but didn't taste like a porter - the barrel affected the flavor. I think the key would be to use an imperial of some variety so it doesn't get overwhelmed by the flavor imparted by the barrel.

Hmm... I'm thinking a big/imperial american amber or brown. I'm going to throw together a recipe and post it up here.

Alright, here's an imperial brown ale to age in the barrel. The base recipe is Janet's Brown, but the later hopping is changed, and the chocolate upped by 0.25 lbs / 5 gal. I still would need to scale it up fit the barrel. Comments? I would like a late hop that's somewhat spicy to play with the rye whiskey that will hopefully be in the background due to the barrel. Chinook seemed like a reasonable choice. I'm worried something too light will get lost.

Recipe: Whiskey Barrel Brown
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.28 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.28 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal