I need help with a chamomile mead/ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodflow

Reaction score
I am relatively new to brewing. I've brewed a few batches of an Oberon clone that I love, and I've studied a fair amount and drank plenty. My mother is coming to visit in July and I had planned on brewing an ale for her, but I have since been pretty strapped. I do have some leftover ingredients and an idea. I have 2 1/2 lb honey, some chamomile tea bags, 1/4-1/2 lb crystal 20 malt, and 1/2 oz czech saaz pellets. I'll probably pick up 6 lb dme. I thought about adding lime or lemon and I'll probably use safale us-05, as it is the only yeast I have experience with. Any input is appreciated.

Do you want to make an ale or a mead?
I have a chamomile mead in the primary right now. I steeped about a fistful of chamomile flowers 10 minutes in 2 gal hot water and pulled them out. I added 5lb honey, boiled 15 min and did a late addition of a small fistful of flowers, then hit the cooled wort with Pasteur champagne yeast, and I am going to carbonate with 2.5oz of corn sugar.

The recipe is actually Charlie Papazian's "Chief Niwot's Mead," if you want to replicate it. I know that some acid blend is also necessary to balance the flavors.

I guess the plan is to use 4 lb of dme and 2 1/2 lbs honey, and brew like an ale. Whether that is considered an ale or meade, I don't know.

Latest posts

Back