I get wet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anbrew

Reaction score
Now that I have your attention...does anyone else get mildy soaked while brewing? I'm kind of messy, and I'm getting nervous about about the looming Eastern Washington winter. I do 10 gallon high gravity batches so stuff tends to spill occasionally, and I get anything but clean during the dreaded "clean up" phase of brewing.

Has anyone ever gotten a dorky onsie/jumpsuit and some rubber boots. I'm thinking, for me, that would be a good investment. I don't even know where you'd go to get something like that though, and I doubt it would be waterproof.

(I brewed in 27F weather with 30 mph winds on my roof in OK once and nearly lost feeling in my hands...I don't want any repeats.)

I dont get wet... mainly because everything is connected with hoses and I only pour water once during the process. That being said, when I started brewing and had no pump... it was A LOT messier and I did get moist...

I'm not looking forward to brewing in the winter months but it must be done. I learn too much everytime I brew and brewing just seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Covered back porch for me. Invest in a heavy duty canvas tent or shelter of some sort and one of those outdoor fireplaces if you have the space.

I only get wet during cleanup time, since I have to wash everything off in a tiny bathroom. Hauling around a cooler and keggle isn't much fun.

Glad I'm not the only one. On both brew days I was almost soaked for one reason or the other. I guess it's just getting used to where all the water is. Lots of hoses, buckets, basins, pots, etc full of water just waiting to pounce on me.

So yes. All that to say I do get rather wet during brewing. It's not just you!

Sounds like a rain suit and some Muck (or LaCrosse) boots would be the right idea. Farm stores are good for both. Many outdoor stores catering to hunters will have them as well. Buy the boots a size large so you can wear heavy socks. I used to have problems in California, but here I have a deep sink and one of those coiled hoses with a pistol-grip nozzle.

I'm usually pretty moist by then end of the brew day, plus I usually have burnt feet seeing that I always end up brewing wearing sandals.

I get the occasional hose spray on me when something goes a little weird, but that's it. I don't think I've ever considered coveralls.

What are you jokers doing out there? :)

TL

I get the occasional hose spray on me when something goes a little weird, but that's it. I don't think I've ever considered coveralls.

What are you jokers doing out there? :)

TL

drunken brew sessions equal missed hop additions and splashing boiling sparge and strike water all over myself. not to mention the clean up.... that's why i don't drink till the boil commences these days. i still get water all over the place and miss hop additions though. ;)

i get soaked and leave malt and hops all over the floor, my housemates would hate me if they didnt get free beer at the end of it

I get soaked from the cleanup. Hopefully soon I'll have my scullery sink hooked up and I won't have that problem anymore, but yeah I've considered wet weather gear.

Not at all. I don't understand how. Do you walk around kicking full buckets of water over? or vorlauff into your pocket?

Hahaha, it's just the little unplanned things that happen here and there.

Like dumping my sparge water into my MLT too fast and some splashing onto me. Or adding water to something not noticing the valve is open. Or leaving the hose in a carboy to clean it, going to do something else and then having a mini-geyser spraying at me. All these things add up!

And clean up? Oh god, forget about it. Anytime I have to dump a heavy cooler, carboy, keggle, etc out water always splashes on me.

And clean up? Oh god, forget about it. Anytime I have to dump a heavy cooler, carboy, keggle, etc out water always splashes on me.

Whenever I have anything full of water I just put it up next to the sink and siphon it out. Be surprised how fast a 1" blow out tube can clear out a bucket of water or when I'm bottling the 10 gallons of sanitizer I have in a tub for the bottles to soak in. The trick is getting it started. lol

I brew under cover if it rains and it rarely rains here. I never get wet and it's important that I don't due to my AP.

Latest posts

Back