I am thinking of trying something

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Morebeer has kits that use a single hop for flavor and aroma. They are set for 5 gallon batches. I was thinking of splitting the 5 gallons into two 2.5 gallon batches into the fermenter and using different yeasts to see what the effects are. My questions are: 1. Can I use my 5 gallon bucket fermenter for each 2.5 gallon batch? I have two and would be able to store both in the same place to keep all other variables the same. 2. If I buy a packet of both Bry97 and US05 can I dump the full amount in each bucket or it that too much yeast for each 2.5 gallon batch?

Reason for this is two fold. I have some homegrown hops, and Morebeer has the same varieties in their single hop kits. My home grown are still young, finished their first year this past year, so I don't have much at this time. I figure, by using the single hop kits I can get an idea of what each of these hops brings to the table and taylor future recipes to them. Make sense?

Any input is always welcomed. Rock On!!!!!!!

i'm just going to chime in because i'm bored and this is interesting experiment....

i think as long as the fermenter is air tight should purge itself, but the LoDO people say don't sneak a peek, because that's a lot of air space....

Thanks for the input. Might be better then to get a couple of 3 gallon food safe buckets from like Home Depot or something, and drill a hole for the airlock?

i'd probably stick with the 5 gallon bucket myself...otherwise you'll need to use a blow off tube, which would ruin the hop expierment? with the 5 gallon krausen shouldn't clog the air lock?

@doug293cz would be able to molecularily tell you if the yeast will purge the bucket though.....

A full pack of yeast for a 2.5 gallon batch is more than you need, but there won't be any harm in using that much!
My last half-batch, I put a one-gallon plastic jug of very cold water (seal never broken) into my 5 gallon bucket, mostly to "take up space" in the fermenter, but also to help cool the hot wort a little faster. Not sure how disgusting the jug is going to be once it's done fermenting, but I figure a good scrub should get it looking reasonable.

I also vote for going with your plan - 5 gallon bucket for a 2.5 gallon batch, and a whole yeast packet. I routinely use a 7.9 gallon bucket fermenter for a 5 gallon batch with no problems. And as mentioned, I don't have any problem with blow-off. I've used blow-off tubes in the past - they worry me because they get pretty nasty, and I was never confident in cleaning them. I also had one plug up and had a real mess to clean up.

2. If I buy a packet of both Bry97 and US05 can I dump the full amount in each bucket or it that too much yeast for each 2.5
If you are likely to brew some additional 2.5 gal batches in the next couple of months, partial packages of yeast store well in the fridge. Close the partial package tightly, keep it cool and dry; Lallemand currently suggests vacuum sealing open packages.

I typically reuse open packages quickly (within three months), but others have stated they go much longer than that. I usually have an unopened package of the same strain (or similar strain) on hand as well.

There are three Single hop kits I want to try as they match up with the hops I am growing. So, maybe I will just use half the pack. My wife has a food saver so I am sure I can use that to reseal the unused yeast. It will more than likely be a game time decision.

1. You’re fine. I wouldn’t dry hop with that headspace, though.
2. You can pitch the entire packet but half would be fine too. Clip it and toss it the other half in the fridge.

But seriously, don’t dry hop with that headspace unless you have ways of purging it.

But seriously, don’t dry hop with that headspace unless you have ways of purging it.
One can most likely dry hop just fine, just don't lift the lid.

Add the dry hops through the airlock hole. Or drill a second hole in the lid on the opposite side. A 1" diameter hole can be plugged up with a regular #2 stopper, and add your hops or other additions through that port.

If a CO2 tank is available, one can stream CO2 in through the airlock (or hole) while adding hops or other things through the 1" access port. When all done, purge a few times for good measure.
Similarly, one can also stir a few times during the dry hop phase, using the back end of a long plastic brew spoon.

One can most likely dry hop just fine, just don't lift the lid.

Add the dry hops through the airlock hole. Or drill a second hole in the lid on the opposite side. A 1" diameter hole can be plugged up with a regular #2 stopper, and add your hops or other additions through that port.

If a CO2 tank is available, one can stream CO2 in through the airlock (or hole) while adding hops or other things through the 1" access port. When all done, purge a few times for good measure.
Similarly, one can also stir a few times during the dry hop phase, using the back end of a long plastic brew spoon.
That is a great idea. I dry hop quite a bit and did not even think about that. Thanks.

That is a great idea. I dry hop quite a bit and did not even think about that. Thanks.
You could also throw the hops in a bag with a food safe magnet, put another magnet to suspend the bag above the wort(and krausen) on the outside, and when ready, just remove the magnet on the outside and the hops will drop in.

For hoppy beers, get a used corny keg for fermenting and use a spunding valve, cut an inch or so off the dip tube and pressure transfer to the serving keg.
I've done a bunch of yeast experiments and I don't really see anything to be gained at this point. Yeast characteristics are pretty well documented. Having said that, finding out what your personal preferences are is a great idea. Just keep your expectations realistic, if you are brewing the exact same beer with two different yeasts, its likely you really won't notice all that much difference except if you are going from a really clean yeast to some kind of funky Belgian strain.

For hoppy beers, get a used corny keg for fermenting and use a spunding valve, cut an inch or so off the dip tube and pressure transfer to the serving keg.
I've done a bunch of yeast experiments and I don't really see anything to be gained at this point. Yeast characteristics are pretty well documented. Having said that, finding out what your personal preferences are is a great idea. Just keep your expectations realistic, if you are brewing the exact same beer with two different yeasts, its likely you really won't notice all that much difference except if you are going from a really clean yeast to some kind of funky Belgian strain.
I have been thinking of the used keg fermenter idea. I can get used ones around here all day for about 20 to 30 bucks. How difficult is it to do? I would not mind unloading the buckets, but I must admit it is kinda cool watching the fermenting. Maybe I will buy a cheap used keg and see what I can do. Sounds kinda interesting. I am guessing it makes closed transferring real easy and cold crashing could be very easy as well if the keg fits in my kegerator. Hmmm. LOL

Last edited:
Back