I’m new here and could rlly use sum advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_mulk45

Reaction score
So I have made some wines before and this last weekend I decided to make a pilsner type lager now plz don’t mock me As I’m very new to the beer brewing scene but I had decided to use a m54 California lager yeast in five gallons and I had read somewhere that I should prob pitch two packets and so I did well after about a day there was a lot of action and then it just stopped and it doesn’t seem to want to do much if I shake it around I can get the airlock and some bubbles on there surface to start coming but then it quits any tips?

Greetings, and welcome to HBT :mug:

What temperature have you been running the yeast, and do you have a hydrometer to test the current specific gravity of this brew?

You didn't mention the original gravity; given a double-pack pitch if you ran this brew warmer than the suggested 64-68°F it wouldn't be surprising that three days later it's pretty much reached terminal gravity....

Cheers!

Yes just about I keep my house a little cold and the m54 called for 64-68 it’s at about 69 right now

I don’t have a specific gravity meter once again I’m very new and just decided to go for it and see what happens and try to get into the home brew hobby

M54 is a warm fermenting "lager" yeast. 65-68F seems to be the advised range.
Although it looks like it's probably done, give it more time. Yeast does a lot of good things during the week (or 2) after the big party.

Also, you can reuse the yeast cake after you bottled the batch. Just keep good sanitation. You can store it in a mason jar in the fridge. Read up about it.

Yes just about I keep my house a little cold and the m54 called for 64-68 it’s at about 69 right now

If "it's about 69 right now" refers to the room temperature and that's about where things have been since you pitched your yeast the actual wort temperature was likely high enough (+5 to 10°F over ambient, depending) that the beer has hit terminal gravity already.

Let it clean up for a week then you can decide what to do next. Do you have a way to lager this brew? Or are you going to treat it like an ale?

Cheers!

thanks @IslandLizard thats gonna help a lot
If "it's about 69 right now" refers to the room temperature and that's about where things have been since you pitched your yeast the actual wort temperature was likely high enough (+5 to 10°F over ambient, depending) that the beer has hit terminal gravity already.

Let it clean up for a week then you can decide what to do next. Do you have a way to lager this brew? Or are you going to treat it like an ale?

Cheers!
I plan on bottling it and carbonating it with simple sugar for a week then let them chill for a week or week 1/2 that sound pretty good to you ?

Ok, but given you don't have any method of determining when the fermentation has fully completed I would definitely go a full two weeks before bottling with primer.

wrt how long you should let the bottles sit, here's a tip: get a 12 ounce soda bottle with cap and fill that along with your regular bottles. Stick the plastic bottle with the rest for at least a week, then give it a squeeze. Once it becomes almost too hard to compress you'll know the bottles are carbed up and ready for chilling...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back