Howzit from Cape Town

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexbrew

Reaction score
Good day.
So, us poor folk in South Africa are still under strickt lockdown (day 59 or so) with the sale of booze prohibited, which forced a lot of us to scratch our ancestor notepads and brew our own. Fasionable here is to make a pineapple beer from 4 ripe pineapples and 4kg sugar with brewers yeast in a 20litre (approx 5 US gal) bucket... which turned out ok .. but nothing to brag about. Then I made a similar recepe with apples .. which turned out about the same both with a resulting nausiating headache next day. Haha. Self inflicted agony. Then with the help of youtube made some ciders with preservative free supermarket juice, which turned out better than the fresh fruit brew.

Then this got me pondering about making proper wheat beer, always wanted to do that, so about 10 days ago I received online ordered 50litre (about 13gal) kettle and all the other bits that go with it (long spoon, hydrometer, sanitiser, digital thermometer, syphon, fermentor, etc) and a 15 litre Weiss recipe and a 15 litre Belgian Blonde recipe. So I started brewing last Friday with my brew now 10 days in the fermentor .. waiting.

Anyway .. I've got a bunch of questions in my head and google searches and youtube only go that far in knowledge gains, so decided to join this site to be part of likeminded brewsters, hoping to further take this brewing up as a long term hobby.

Good day.
So, us poor folk in South Africa are still under strickt lockdown (day 59 or so) with the sale of booze prohibited, which forced a lot of us to scratch our ancestor notepads and brew our own. Fasionable here is to make a pineapple beer from 4 ripe pineapples and 4kg sugar with brewers yeast in a 20litre (approx 5 US gal) bucket... which turned out ok .. but nothing to brag about. Then I made a similar recepe with apples .. which turned out about the same both with a resulting nausiating headache next day. Haha. Self inflicted agony. Then with the help of youtube made some ciders with preservative free supermarket juice, which turned out better than the fresh fruit brew.

Then this got me pondering about making proper wheat beer, always wanted to do that, so about 10 days ago I received online ordered 50litre (about 13gal) kettle and all the other bits that go with it (long spoon, hydrometer, sanitiser, digital thermometer, syphon, fermentor, etc) and a 15 litre Weiss recipe and a 15 litre Belgian Blonde recipe. So I started brewing last Friday with my brew now 10 days in the fermentor .. waiting.

Anyway .. I've got a bunch of questions in my head and google searches and youtube only go that far in knowledge gains, so decided to join this site to be part of likeminded brewsters, hoping to further take this brewing up as a long term hobby.
Hey bud just like you in Johannesburg But not from Sa and awaiting repatriation....I’m trying cider!
i was looking into the beer and I saw in spar Malted Corn.....I tried doing some reading around that last night but ended up falling asleep....there is malt barley there too in packets! Hell knows might be able to concoct something out of those If brewing shops aren’t open...!

Hi fellow safrican.. Good to connect here and share some ideas.
There are a lot of online brew shops operational. I browsed my local brewshop: www.BeerGuevara.com and got everything from them, including recipes and ingredients. Shure the be something near where you are. Happy brewing

Hi ncbrewer .. Thanks .. yes sure. I always kind-off wanted to get into homebrewing. Now I have purchased most of the basic equipment and got 2x 18litre brews approx 10 and 7 days in the fermentor .. so am looking foreward to the results.

Back