HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, i will start this post by saying Elco, _mdma, and Geo(i believe) are amazing at what they have created with BrewPi and continue to develop for free. Brewers are great in that they share nearly everything, and they are no different.
BrewPiArduinoCircuit.jpg

Very interesting I just ordered a Raspberry

http://www.ebay.it/itm/251386341241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And also I have many componeti and already inside arduino
I wonder but I can change the PIN out to use a shield that I have already in the house

To have a design to be single-sided PCB at home

Very interesting I just ordered a Raspberry

http://www.ebay.it/itm/251386341241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And also I have many componeti and already inside arduino
I wonder but I can change the PIN out to use a shield that I have already in the house

To have a design to be single-sided PCB at home

As of when i wrote thjis, and as far as I know currently the pin out to the arduino is static and cant be changed. They expect this to be hooked up a specific way.

Speaking of pin-outs, the schematic for that hand-built "shield" has the two temperature sensors on different AVR pins - which I'm pretty sure isn't what most if not all of us are doing. If it works it says BrewPi is at least somewhat flexible about pin assignments, but if it doesn't work it doesn't say much about that schematic...

Cheers!

Speaking of pin-outs, the schematic for that hand-built "shield" has the two temperature sensors on different AVR pins - which I'm pretty sure isn't what most if not all of us are doing. If it works it says BrewPi is at least somewhat flexible about pin assignments, but if it doesn't work it doesn't say much about that schematic...

Cheers!
If I remember correctly their first versions didn't properly use the one wire bus, they were more hard coded. They moved to using it though, I'm sure its adjustable in the avr code but not anywhere in the brewpi interface.

I asked the question and Elco responded - there is a DIY hex file that you can load into the arduino, but it is untested with an UNO. As I told him, I'd like to have a display, but the exchange rate is atrocious right now and I'm not willing to spend what would be well over $100 usd to have it. Does anyone here at HBT have the full meal deal Brewpi? How do you like it? I am still tempted...

I asked the question and Elco responded - there is a DIY hex file that you can load into the arduino, but it is untested with an UNO. As I told him, I'd like to have a display, but the exchange rate is atrocious right now and I'm not willing to spend what would be well over $100 usd to have it. Does anyone here at HBT have the full meal deal Brewpi? How do you like it? I am still tempted...

I have one on the way and I'd be happy to document the build and supply a review on these forums if your interested.

Why the need for a LCD though, the web interface is infinitely more powerful than a rotary encoder and a 3 dollar LCD screen ;)

Why the need for a LCD though, the web interface is infinitely more powerful than a rotary encoder and a 3 dollar LCD screen ;)

because the web interface isn't right next to the chamber.... but that may change too ;)

I'm just going to babble here for a bit since it doesn't involve beer, but I've had limited success in changing some of the text on my BrewPI web page as well as some of the LCD text after recompiling some HEX code in Atmel Studio. Perhaps I can bend this project to be used on my smoker after all. :)

I finally got a chance to wire this all up last night, but I'm having trouble with the relay. I believe it's all wired up accurately according to the schematic on the first page of this thread. I'm measuring 4.75 volts at the VCC on the relay, so I'm wondering if that has to do with it. Does it need to be the full 5 volts? My power supply to the pi is only a 5 volt, do I need to up it?

If it's not that, I did notice that brewpi always says "idling" even if I set the temp super cold. Like it's not trying to switch the cooling on. I have 1 temp probe working, but the other wasn't reporting temp (but was recognized). So I have the working one as Beer1, and then profile is set to Beer Constant. And the "switching actuators" are under installed devices. Maybe there's more of a problem than I think?

I think it wants both the Fridge and beer temp to work properly, you should figure out why one of your sensors isnt reading properly, check your wiring! :)

I think it wants both the Fridge and beer temp to work properly, you should figure out why one of your sensors isnt reading properly, check your wiring! :)

I wondered if that was it. I have one sensor working fine. So if I completely disconnect that one, and connect the other in exactly the same way to the same wires, I get no temp (although it does recognize it). Bad sensor? I only bought 2 at the time, so I can't test with another one until it comes in the mail.

I wondered if that was it. I have one sensor working fine. So if I completely disconnect that one, and connect the other in exactly the same way to the same wires, I get no temp (although it does recognize it). Bad sensor? I only bought 2 at the time, so I can't test with another one until it comes in the mail.

It may be your power supply, I was having similar problems (temp sensors recognized but had a "null" value). I was using a cheapo 5V 1A phone charger, bought a better power supply and problem solved.

It may be your power supply, I was having similar problems (temp sensors recognized but had a "null" value). I was using a cheapo 5V 1A phone charger, bought a better power supply and problem solved.
I saw your post about that. What's weird is that one works and one doesn't, which makes me think it's the sensor. Even if I disconnect the working one and connect the other. So I'm going to get another sensor and see what happens.

[...]What's weird is that one works and one doesn't, which makes me think it's the sensor. Even if I disconnect the working one and connect the other. So I'm going to get another sensor and see what happens.

Clarification please: does one of the sensors always work and the other never work? Or will either one will work as long as the other isn't plugged in? It isn't clear from what's been said so far...

Cheers!

[edit] I just checked, and if I unplug the fridge probe (leaving the beer1 probe working) BrewPi immediately drops into "Idle" (it was "Cooling") and won't leave that state.
So you need both probes working (which explains the issues I was having with my AlaMode experiment)...

Cheers!

Clarification please: does one of the sensors always work and the other never work? Or will either one will work as long as the other isn't plugged in? It isn't clear from what's been said so far...

Yeah, sorry. Yes, one always works whether the other is plugged in or not, and the other one never does either way. They're both recognized by brewpi, but one just won't give a temp reading.

In the OpenElec forums spotty power supplies cause all sorts of goofy issues. Just a heads up to people.

Yeah, sorry. Yes, one always works whether the other is plugged in or not, and the other one never does either way. They're both recognized by brewpi, but one just won't give a temp reading.

Gotcha. While I've also read of low system voltages playing havoc with the 82B210 sensor, it sure sounds like a duff probe from here.

As long as it was mentioned, I just checked the system voltages on my dev system and noted that my 'Pi was running at 4.75V, the AlaMode was sitting at 5.1V, and the Uno was running at 5.05V. Rummaged through my bin of wall warts and found a better 5V/microUSB wart which brought the 'Pi up to just over 5V.

I've never had any apparent problems reading the one-wire temperature sensors even with that 4.75V on the 'Pi, and my sensors are all on 3M long cables. I'm guessing the 5V must need to drop at least below 5% of nominal before problems arise...

Cheers!

Thanks. That confirms some things for me and helps. I'm going to try to troubleshoot a little more, but have some new sensors on the way so I may need to wait for them to get here.

I wonder, can this be run without the RPi? I don't happen to have one handy, but I have a couple of arduinos around :)
Does the brewpi run the standard PID library? I've looked through the github, but the format of code isn't the usual arduino sketch, so I'm a little lost.

I don't really need fancy web interfaces and whatnot, but I would like to run two separate PIDs, which I'm not sure that brewpi does natively.

Not without a Debian machine, whether its a RPI or a seperate PC you need something to communicate with the Arduino. In theory i suppose you could setup the rotary and LCD screen and do it that way, but thats not documented in this build because it costs money that isnt needed.

Not without a Debian machine, whether its a RPI or a seperate PC you need something to communicate with the Arduino. In theory i suppose you could setup the rotary and LCD screen and do it that way, but thats not documented in this build because it costs money that isnt needed.

Thanks Fuzz, what about multiple zone cooling? I'm looking to build my own fridgenstein side-by-side and I'd need multi-zones for that.
Also, has anyone compared the accuracy of brewpi to the PID library (which can run multi-zone)?

Thanks Fuzz, what about multiple zone cooling? I'm looking to build my own fridgenstein side-by-side and I'd need multi-zones for that.
Also, has anyone compared the accuracy of brewpi to the PID library (which can run multi-zone)?

What PID library are you talking about i guess?

The BrewPi can do multiple chambers, but it requires one arduino(and sensors) per chamber. The arduinos are the real work horse that run the PID algorithm, the BrewPi just collects data and graphs it.

Theres a post in here earlier with instructions on running multiple chambers, and shouldnt be hard to find on google.

Yes, I read your question I also applied on the same topic

If we can Change Pin Out and encode a LCD I2C could
use the schiedl OpenArdBir that is easy to do at home

I just doubt encoder

What do you say okay this?

Or use it without a shield I bought this card relay

And I would like to take this LCD I've read others with change of use BrewPI

Yea, I dont care about the encoder really. But I2C should take less pin's, or at least the same - Rev C is talking to the display via a 74HC595D which is some sort of shift register or a serial interface.

But that's winter work... :) Brew while the weather is good!

What do you suppose BrewPi would do if you used it to control a dispensing appliance (kegerator, keezer) and didn't configure a "Chamber Heater" device? An allowed (and likely necessary) condition is the environment is never colder than the desired beer dispensing temperature.

I'm wondering if it would learn how to live without a heat source and be able to tune itself to run a keezer...

Cheers!

I ran my ferm chamber for months without a heater, it worked fine. I only bought a heater once the cold weather set in, i may actually unhook it again now that its getting mid 60+ here more now.

Im pretty sure this beer was done without one

BrewPi-GingerBeer.png

You can see it still thinks its heating, but its not you can see the fridge temp just slowly ramp up towards ambient as the yeast did their thing. Its a bit overkill for a keezer that doesnt really matter if its 38 +-2F or whatever an easy STC1000 can get you.

That's great to know, thanks! I've been playing with possibilities and just hooked up a second Uno for experiments. I got both running BrewPi on top of R'Pints on top of my temperature logger with all the "sites" covered with .htaccess and so far they're all playing nicely together. I could see running my ferm fridge and keezer with this - if BrewPi can handle running the keezer...

Cheers!

The arduinos are the real work horse that run the PID algorithm, the BrewPi just collects data and graphs it.

Interesting. I just presumed the RPi was doing the PID computation, as well as logging, and I guess I thought Arduino was just running the relays and getting the OneWire temps.

But you know what they say about presuming don't you? That's right, have a beer.

I ran my ferm chamber for months without a heater, it worked fine. I only bought a heater once the cold weather set in, i may actually unhook it again now that its getting mid 60+ here more now.

Im pretty sure this beer was done without one

BrewPi-GingerBeer.png

You can see it still thinks its heating, but its not you can see the fridge temp just slowly ramp up towards ambient as the yeast did their thing. Its a bit overkill for a keezer that doesnt really matter if its 38 +-2F or whatever an easy STC1000 can get you.

Your'e always five or so degrees warmer in the PDX area - except for when the east wind is blowing... Brrr...

Mine is still heating most of the time except for the hottest time of the day.

ferment.jpg

Interesting. I just presumed the RPi was doing the PID computation, as well as logging, and I guess I thought Arduino was just running the relays and getting the OneWire temps.

But you know what they say about presuming don't you? That's right, have a beer.

Nope the Arduino is doing most of the work, which is why its there in the first place for when(it will happen) the RPI locks up your chamber will continue working if you give the arduino power.

The Debian box/RPI is nothing more really than a website server that polls the Arduino every 10 seconds or so for new data which it pulls over USB and graphs.

I'm just digging into the arduino and learning a lot. Has anyone tried any sort of wireless communication between the arduino and debian/rasppi?

I've got an old beater laptop running Debian by my kegorator in the garage for raspberrypints and my fermenter is across the garage. I would love to blast my brewpi data over the air to that laptop.

I'm just digging into the arduino and learning a lot. Has anyone tried any sort of wireless communication between the arduino and debian/rasppi?

I've got an old beater laptop running Debian by my kegorator in the garage for raspberrypi and my fermenter is across the garage.

Im interested in this also, I'd love to be able to decouple the Rpi from the Arduino.

You'd have to hack the BrewPi-specific Arduino "sketch" (program) to do the additional data transfer wirelessly.

[...]
Im pretty sure this beer was done without one[...]

Awesome - BrewPi behaves just like you'd expect it would. Thanks!

Well, sure - or the even cheaper single stage MH1210 running my keezer now.

But as long as I'm going to have the 'Pi and its multiple minions in my brewery anyway there's something to be said for putting the keezer in its control as well - if only to use the BrewPi charting! It's way faster than my temperature logger because BrewPi is doing the graphing on board, while I went the quick 'n' dirty way and send my data to Google to generate graphs.

There's a good chance I'm going to put the 'Pi and the rest of the stuff in a module that'll slide into the back of my keezer's dolly, so I can route the compressor control from the MH1210 in the keezer kid through a selector switch to chose which unit will actually control the keezer. The wiring's right there already anyway.

And besides, if this was all about keeping things simple, this topic wouldn't exist...

Cheers! ;)

You'd have to hack the BrewPi-specific Arduino "sketch" (program) to do the additional data transfer wirelessly.

Oh, crap. I had the same thoughts as the others, but you're right - and that is going to be a problem, if you take the BrewPi developers' take on remaining resources at face value (essentially, there are none).

The realization that there is an apparent need to have interface-specific code in sketches may mean my mini science project to get BrewPi to talk to an Arduino over a serial link may be doomed...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back