HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The resistor is used simply as a "pull up" for an "open drain" circuit and as such provides barely a few milliamps of current. You can go with a resistor rated for as little as 1/16th watt...

Cheers!

Can BrewPi (for fermentation control) and RaspberryPints be combined into one controller and run at the same time?

I just have to keep telling myself: "You only need a 2 tap keggerator. You don't need a keezer. You're in an apartment. You don't have room."

Then people post **** like this and it goes out the window.

Heard that. My brew crap and keezer gets it's own room in my tiny apartment haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh mine too. My spare bedroom has my brew stuff, my keggerator, my ferm chamber, the spare bed, my desk and a few book cases. I pulled off one chest freezer, I don't think the gf would let me pull that off again.

Thanks! But I couldn't have done it with out the help of the guys here.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hacking, tweaking and googling!

I don't, I took a usb webcam, some free webcam software, and merged them together.
I would be more than happy to help though if someone else was attempting it.

I don't, I took a usb webcam, some free webcam software, and merged them together.
I would be more than happy to help though if someone else was attempting it.

Are you running the webcam on rasp pi? I love this idea but just realized inside my fermenter is pitch black so it wouldn't work.

No, It runs on a little netbook I have. I use it in the chamber and to stream brew sessions.. My chamber was dark as well, I got a little night light.

I went through a Linux class last term and picked up a PI. While I have been working with it I decided I wanted to do something like this. Currently I have a thermometer working and trying to get the LED display working. This will be a great resource. I now have a direction to go. Very Cool. Now I have to read all 22 pages of the thread. Subscribed

Is there any reason why I couldn't use female to male dupont pins from the ssr to the arduino board? Trying to minimize the amount of soldering I have to do. I can understand needing the thicker gauge cable on the ssr to the 120v power and the power socket. Is the thicker gauge need from the ssr to the arduino?

Is there any reason why I couldn't use female to male dupont pins from the ssr to the arduino board? Trying to minimize the amount of soldering I have to do. I can understand needing the thicker gauge cable on the ssr to the 120v power and the power socket. Is the thicker gauge need from the ssr to the arduino?

I used 16 or 18 gauge wires like that. I called them jumper wires for lack of a better word.

Thats exactly what I did, easy peasy.

Here's the start of mine... Just waiting on the probes and I have to go buy the outlet.

1398736815157.jpg

Vince805, is that the top to the "Radio Shack" enclosure? If not, what are you using?

Todd

So i have a silly question. Are you guys plugging these in via a Ethernet cable or are you using a WiFi adapter? I have been reading over the thread and either i have missed it completely or keep skipping over it.

I have an arduino and have the rest of the parts I need sitting in my amazon wish list but this part has me a little befuddled. I just want to order the rest of the parts in one shot. I was thinking of going with the WiFi adapter listed for the RasPints build. If i can work this out, i'll be swapping my keezer over to one w/ the RasPints, but the first order of business is getting my fermentation chamber in order.

Sorry if this question was so obvious it didn't need stated but i have zero experience with the Pi.

I'm not RPi-ing, rather Old-PC-ing the BrewPi software implementation, and the PC is hard wired to my network. I could do connection via WiFi, but that's just how I have it now (technically, it's via one of those pairs of power-line-ethernet plugs like THIS). The RPi has the built in ethernet jack and I don't know the particulars of implementing WiFi with a RPi, but quick search found THIS, for instance, on WiFi on the RPi.

Thanks, I guess I was wondering if the code for a USB wifi adapter was already in the code for the brewpi. I'll read you links closer later today and dig in to the brewpi read me file. just wasn't sure if it was covered. Would rather not hard wire, just because of the location of my setup.

How are folks connecting the resistor? Using a breadboard or just soldering them together?

How are folks connecting the resistor? Using a breadboard or just soldering them together?

I used this technique. Once everything is in place there may not be a need for strain relief but it wasn't any more work than than soldering it strictly inline. I guess if it's good enough for aeronautical electrical work it should handle the rigors of fermenting.

Todd

I used this technique. Once everything is in place there may not be a need for strain relief but it wasn't any more work than than soldering it strictly inline. I guess if it's good enough for aeronautical electrical work it should handle the rigors of fermenting.

Todd

Did I just spend 6 minutes watching a guy solder a resistor? :cross:

That was a pretty nifty trick, I'll have to remember that for next time. This time I just solder the resistor to the wires and put shrink wrap over it.

I really want to try my hand at soldering, but don't have any projects that I need to.

Its a very useful skill to have in general, you can make your own projects really...

I cant tell you how many pairs of headphones or other electronics ive saved from the garbage by simply resoldering them..most broken electronics are just wires that get cut or break inside...

And the same general principle with using flux applies to silver soldering if you ever need to do that for brewing stuff or for plumbing with copper ;)

Just find some old headphones or crappy 5-12V electronics you dont care about anymore and are going to throw away anyways and just take them apart and try to put them back together to see if they work again ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back