Howdy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveyG1987

Reaction score
Hi all! Thanks for the add! I’m an adventurer by nature and I’ve made a few homemade wines and I’m doing a big batch of mead currently fermenting. Sadly, I’ve been diagnosed with celiac disease so 98% of off the shelf beers are a no-go for me, which isn’t all bad as I don’t much like the taste of hops anyways, but there were a select few beers I enjoyed prior to my diagnosis, mainly Fat Tire, but now that I’ve made a few wines that weren’t too bad, and this latest mead I’m trying to make has me wondering if I should try my hand at a few small batches of my own GF beer... I’ve watched a video by ‘bearded and bored’ of a very simple machine ‘robot’ to keep turning grains for malting, and he used corn kernels for his video, made me think that maybe I could try my hand at a single grain cream ale of my own make using just malted corn and see how it turns out! Has anybody tried this? Was it any good? Thanks again for the add!

Welcome to the club! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have never tried making my own wine, still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of beer. If you try any GF batches, be sure to update us. I'd love to hear your progress, as two of my nephews and nieces are also cannot have gluten.

Oh wine is easy my friend. If you can brew beer, take out half of the steps, and you can make wine haha. Seriously all it takes is your fruit juice of choice, a little extra sugar, yeast, and a fermentation vessel. Last wine I did was a frozen grape concentrate that ended up as a sweet, sparkling light red. I don’t particularly care for most store bought wines, but my homemade wines have been a 80% success rate haha. Out of 5 batches I’ve only had one that wound up just too dry for my liking. Was fine wine made from fresh local Concord grapes, about 16% ABV, just not my flavor preference. I just purchased a cheap little Chinese 12v gearmotor and 12v timer off eBay to build my own malting bucket turner... should be here in a month haha then the fun can begin.

Yeah I saw the GF section, that’s what actually prompted me to join here. But gotta get some posts in the newb section before I can start my own thread over in that section.
I’m thinking I’ll youtube video my corn beer adventure while I’m at it... just such a long wait for Chinese eBay junk to get here... ugh

Back