How well do hops survive shipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Just curious about this one. Our local HBS seems to never have certain hops in stock, and a recipe I'm working on requires several of them. I was considering ordering them online, but I've always been told that hops need to be more or less constantly refrigerated. What has everyone's experience been?

They are usually vacuum sealed and maybe purged. I don't think they suffer too much from temperature changes during shipping. After that keeping them vacuum sealed, and refrigerated or better, frozen will make them last longer.

I have never gotten hops at my LHBS's since buying them online is way cheaper. About the only things I get at my LHBS is bulk grains, (save on shipping) yeast in the summer, and things I can't wait for by mail.

I believe temp + time = degradation. the higher temps cause the acids to break down faster than colder temps. If they are stored cold and only warm for the trip then I can see no serious loss and they might even be better than your LHBS depending on how they are stored.

Most are either vacuum sealed or flushed with nitrogen. Oxygen harms hops so any reputable supplier limits O2 in the package.

If you brew very much try to find larger bags of hops. That will cut down in what you spend on them. I bought a pound of cascade pellets from graintoglass.com for $12.99. There's also several hop growers selling on eBay.

Back