how vialble are Crooked Stave dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I just cracked a bottle of Crooked Staves Petite Sour aged on Colorado peaches and would love to add some of these bugs to my farm (my currently fermenting sours)! I've never pitched dregs though so I'm a little concerned about wine yeasts, etc. Should I be worried or just flame the tip of the bottle and pitch away?

Also, I have a (sanitized) bottle of Boulevard Lovechild's as well as Boulevards Saison Brett dregs sitting in the fridge from a month or so ago that I would love to pitch as well. But, at that age I'm more concerned about acetobactar. If any of you Sour gurus have any words of encouragement, experience or advice I'm all ears. Cheers!

I've never pitched dregs though so I'm a little concerned about wine yeasts, etc
It's perfectly fine to add dregs after primary fermentation completes, regardless of whether there may be "killer" yeast in the bottle.

I'm more concerned about acetobactar.
Take reasonable precautions to exclude oxygen, and all is well. Acetic acid production is an aerobic process.

Hope this makes sense.

Back