How to remove bung from wooden barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrawGator

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon keg from a distillery in Texas. I want to age beer in it. How do I get the bung out?? I've seen the videos of the distillery removing them but I dont have access. Is there a tool I can get that will remove it? Tried big set of pliers but that didn't work. That rascal is in there snug!!!

I had the same issue with my 10 gallon barrel. I ended up hammering a chisel into the center to split it & then I was able to pull it out. Even though it was destroyed in the process, I wasn't overly concerned as I planned on replacing it with a drilled rubber bung anyway. I tried cranking on it using vice grips & pliers, but I got nowhere.

The suggestion for driving a screw into it seems like it has potential.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I was able to get it out by tapping it back and forth several times and wa able to get it out. Now it's full of water soaking for a few days. Now I'm trying to decide what to brew to put in it! :)

Drill a hole horizontally through the plug top and use a long screwdriver (through the hole) to unscrew the plug. Took seconds to do and the plug came free with ease without damage to the barrel or the plug.

Latest posts

Back