How to remove bung from wooden barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrawGator

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon keg from a distillery in Texas. I want to age beer in it. How do I get the bung out?? I've seen the videos of the distillery removing them but I dont have access. Is there a tool I can get that will remove it? Tried big set of pliers but that didn't work. That rascal is in there snug!!!

I had the same issue with my 10 gallon barrel. I ended up hammering a chisel into the center to split it & then I was able to pull it out. Even though it was destroyed in the process, I wasn't overly concerned as I planned on replacing it with a drilled rubber bung anyway. I tried cranking on it using vice grips & pliers, but I got nowhere.

The suggestion for driving a screw into it seems like it has potential.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I was able to get it out by tapping it back and forth several times and wa able to get it out. Now it's full of water soaking for a few days. Now I'm trying to decide what to brew to put in it! :)

Drill a hole horizontally through the plug top and use a long screwdriver (through the hole) to unscrew the plug. Took seconds to do and the plug came free with ease without damage to the barrel or the plug.

Back