How to keep beer glassware from condensating (for photos)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FVillatoro

Reaction score
Hello mates!

So, I am loving brewing and have now gotten into clarifying beer with gelatin finings.
I would love to get a nice shot of the beer to showcase the clarity on photos, but condensation builds up outside the glass and I no longer capture it.:mad:

I was reading that pouring warm beer will not condense the glasses, but since I keg this is not possible and there would be no head formation.

Anyone have any advice/solutions?

Thanks fellas!

Try directing the air flow from a fan on the glass. May accelerate evaporation to eliminate the condensate. Outside in bright sun may work also with the air being dry. Most likely will skunk the beer though.

Condensate forms because the temperature of the beer is colder than the ambient air.

Raise the temperature of the beer or lower the temperature of the ambient air.

Actually condensation forms because the beer glass cools the ambient air below its dew point...you need a psychrometric chart to solve this problem...

Based on the chart on my wall, if you have air conditioning and you keep your house at 70 degF and 55% humidity, you could pour your beer at 54 degF and avoid condensation.

OR if you like your beer cooler, wait for a crisp fall day. If it is 53 degF outside and 50% humidity, you can pour your beer at ~34 degF take a picture outside and avoid condensation.

I wipe the glass off with a microfiber cloth and snap the picture real quick.

Thanks for the tips so far fellas.

Another reason for being able to snap clear pics is to get an accurate idea of the color (SRM) of the beer to see what difference different percentages of grains make.

For example, take this ESB that i brewed 2 months ago. The beer was not fined but the last draws were crystal clear and under the sun light I got an accurate representation of the color- and to me now it seems more like a red ale than an ESB- I would adjust.
Funny is that on the left you can see the condensation and what it looked like without fining, and on the right, which cleared up because the head foamed over and down the side (hmm idea), is beautiful! Much more pleasing! Too bad I couldn't snap a good pic.

Here we have a 2 hour boil cream ale that I cold conditioned for a month and fined with gelatin. It is starting to get very clear but condensation is keeping me from getting an accurate picture. I wiped the glass clean and quickly tried to snap a pic but I was just not working :(

And here is my brown ale all condensed over and not fined (except for irish moss).

Maybe i'll let the foam overflow over the sides and see what that does! lol :fro:

agreed with the let the beer warm, then after the brew has warmed up, top it off with a quick turbulent pour to get the head back for the photo.

Dehumidify the room. Not sure if possible, but if you're really planning for a photoshoot...get the room cold (open up all A/C vents) and dry (crank on a dehumidifier), and isolated (close the door). Also I guess you'd not want to breath.

Oh...do photo shoot in a
157225.jpg
!! (No, seriously that might help.)

Hahaha!
Thanks for the replies and I will definitely try some of these.
I posted just a few ago with pictures and it's not loading since it has to be pre-approved or whatever....:(

I was thinking about letting the beer warm up and then just topping it off for a head too actually!

Thx again

Personally, I like the condensation when I take photos. It makes the beer look all the more refreshing and mouth watering. I can still see the clarity of the beer.

Well, maybe it will post faster if I use the in-house picture loader :mad: (sorry for a double post if it happens):

Here we have an ESB that I brewed 2 months ago. I didn't fine it but the last few pours were clear as crystal. I never quite grasped the actual color since I after I poured them indoors and went outside the glass would fog up.
This time I spilled some foam over the side and when I went outside my jaw dropped- I COULD SEE how clear and beautiful it was! Was because it's all gone now! :D And now that I see it... it looks more like an red ale than an ESB.
20150712_140659_zpsegy66qes.jpg

This is a 2 hour cream ale that I brewed up and cold conditioned for a month. I fined it with gelatin and it's clearing up nicely.
I wiped the con sensation off the glass, but by the time i went for the cam this kept happening. Im sure she's purty too if I could keep the glass clear and see through it :fro:
IMG_20150721_171629_zpsuz2hmfsw.jpg

This is a chill-hazed and condensed brown ale... and i would love to see the actual color looks like! GRR!!!!
20150707_203415_zpspvcdruae.jpg

When I take a pic. I will either carefully wipe with my shirt or get a clean rag, I refuse to drink warm beer. :)

All I know is that red-esb looks fookin delicious

Thank you sir! :ban:
I added one ounce of UK 500-550L roasted barley for the color.

I'll see if I can take some pics with the recommendations and I'll post the results.

Thx to all

I had two thoughts so here they are with pictures.

Solution 1 is to pour the beer in a warm glass which will give you some time to take the picture before the beer cools the glass and condensation forms. The first picture is my Mexican Vienna Lager. I microwaved the glass for 10 seconds and it was slightly warm to touch.

Solution 2 is to use a double walled glass that you usually use for coffee or espresso. The air layer insulates so you do not get condensation. Again, my Mexican Vienna Lager.

If you are trying to get a true interpretation of color you want to look at the beer without a head and make sure the glass does not have a nucleation site at the bottom. A head on the beer will block light from the top and nucleation bubbles will make the beer appear darker.

Of course for the perfect picture it must have a head!

Also you can see that the type of glass affects the color as the thicker double walled glass makes the beer look darker compared to the thinner glass in the first picture.

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

I had two thoughts so here they are with pictures.

Solution 1 is to pour the beer in a warm glass which will give you some time to take the picture before the beer cools the glass and condensation forms. The first picture is my Mexican Vienna Lager. I microwaved the glass for 10 seconds and it was slightly warm to touch.

Solution 2 is to use a double walled glass that you usually use for coffee or espresso. The air layer insulates so you do not get condensation. Again, my Mexican Vienna Lager.

If you are trying to get a true interpretation of color you want to look at the beer without a head and make sure the glass does not have a nucleation site at the bottom. A head on the beer will block light from the top and nucleation bubbles will make the beer appear darker.

Of course for the perfect picture it must have a head!

Also you can see that the type of glass affects the color as the thicker double walled glass makes the beer look darker compared to the thinner glass in the first picture.

Awesome! Very interesting indeed. After I harvest some yeast today (brewing tomorrow), I will start trying out some things and see what results I get- hopefully.

Thanks man, that was very helpful indeed :mug:

SCUBA divers spit in their masks to stop fogging, but you would need to be next to the ocean and at that point no one would be looking at the beer color anyway. Or, you could oil the outside of the glass.

Today I tried spraying the glass with some starsan at room temperature and it gives you a few seconds before it starts to condense.

You can get a pretty accurate representation of the color and fining performance on this 2 hour cream ale. I have a feeling that soapy water would do an even better job. I will try more things later.

Back