How to calculate first wort hop IBU's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I plan on using Chinook @ 10.2 aau's to first wort hop. Like the title suggests, if I'm doing a 60 min. mash and a 60 min. boil, what IBU's are contributed from my first wort hopping?

I just let beersmith do it. It registers the same IBU but it is more mellow. That's all I know or think.

I usually add them as a 20 minute asdition in the software as you don't seem to get the same level if bitterness as you do from a 60 minute addition.

You'll get slightly more isomerization of alpha with FWH. People debate the quality of the IBUs, but the science is that more IBUs will make it into the beer (the hops will be hotter slightly longer than a comparable boil).

Yeah, most of my "bittering" hops are added as FWHs, I let BeerSmith do the calculation but I think of them as 60min. additions. Since i started doing FWH instead of 60 min. I've never really switched back, so it's hard for me to compare.

I like FWHing.

I do FWH out of habit and laziness. I regularly boil for 1 to 1.5 hours depending on volume. Rather than fuss around and wait for the proper volume of a 60 minute addition, I just add it at the start.

As for bitterness, I'd say its rather mellow. Beersmith does add the 10% but I would use the same value as a 60 minute, maybe even less.

Beersmiths new whirlpool IBU calculator is a joke. Not even close to a realistic IBUs you taste vs. what beersmith says. Just started cracking my "174 IBU" DIPA that doesn't even have a bitter bite at all

I do FWH out of habit and laziness. I regularly boil for 1 to 1.5 hours depending on volume. Rather than fuss around and wait for the proper volume of a 60 minute addition, I just add it at the start.

As for bitterness, I'd say its rather mellow. Beersmith does add the 10% but I would use the same value as a 60 minute, maybe even less.

Beersmiths new whirlpool IBU calculator is a joke. Not even close to a realistic IBUs you taste vs. what beersmith says. Just started cracking my "174 IBU" DIPA that doesn't even have a bitter bite at all

From stuff I've read here anything over 80 IBUs is pretty questionable. You can theoretically get about 100 IBUs in a beer, but testing of high IBU beers has shown that they really contain closer to 80 IBUs. That's the isomerization saturation limit it would seem. The software might say you're getting 174IBUs, but that's not eh software's fault. Theoretically that's probably accurate, only problem is that it's not physically possible.

Back