How Sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machfive55

Reaction score
I've been brewing ciders for awhile now. My question is, for a dry cider, how sour are your ciders typically? I guess that depends on what types of apples were used, but I'm trying to quantify what is typical and what is good. For those that are more technical is there a specific acidity level that you are shooting for in your ciders?

For those that are more technical is there a specific acidity level that you are shooting for in your ciders?

I shoot for .5% acidity in the finished product. Tastes may vary. If acidity is a problem, up to 50% reduction can be accomplished through MLF. It should also be noted that many of the wine makers acid testing kits are for tartaric units.

So if using one of those kits, one can convert the total acidity from tartaric acid equivalent to malic acid, by multiplying by .89.
Measurement will be most useful when controlling MFL, or trying to create consistent batches.
If trying to make a good batch for house cider, I'd say just go with a blend that will finish to your taste through experimentation.

Sourness in cider comes from the malic acid mostly, lactic acid isn't very sour in comparison. You can buy titration kits with indicator and graduated measuring cylinder. MLF will reduce the acidity by 50% but the sourness by much more. pH is also a good measure of acidity. Try to aim for 3.2-3.6 starting pH, it will rise after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back