How often and at what volume is everyone brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the time of the year. Like this time we have now, deep winter, I brew very little. Come Spring though, in prep for the summer and the holidays and Christmas and everything, then I like to brew a bit more. Then it's not funny for a keg to die very quickly, so I like having kegs full, fermenters fermenting and cool wort in sealed cubes ready to go. It's not uncommon for me to do a brew, a keg, and a fresh ferment on the same day. Beer from the fermenter goes into the empty keg, wort from the no-chill cube goes onto that yeast cake and a fresh brew goes into the empty no-chill cube. Cubes are stored cool and dark and lasts for months like that.

Oh yes, and volumes. I have a 50l brew kettle, sometimes I'll do corny-sized batches (21l into fermenter), but I mostly do double batches. The wort that stays over often gets something else done to it - a different dry hop, different yeast, etc. etc. so it's not always the exact same beer in the end.

These days I'm not brewing a lot in part because I'm trying diligently to drink through the backlog of beer I have. Aside from purchased beer I have quite a bit of homebrew from the mid-2010s and even some from back to the beginning of that decade. As I wind down the older beers I can get back into brewing more. It doesn't help that I have a lot of purchased beer, too.

I am only brewing a few one gallon batches over the year and four to five three gallon keg batches to keep my kegerator filled.

I brew exclusively 2.5-4 gallons, i fell in love with using kegs as fermenters and thats most i can safely ferment without making a mess, plus it allows me to brew more often and i use my stove for boiling, easier/quicker to chill, and perfect for me, i fill my kegs with boiling wort( carefully as to not splash) and use a old cooler filled with ice to chill takes 25-30 mins to get to pitching temps for ale and maybe 45 mins for lager give or take but slower then ising a IC or CFC but one less thing to clean and works fine for me and super easy dont need a chiller or anything

Back