How often and at what volume is everyone brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm making 6.5 gallon batches every 1 to 2 weeks. This keeps all my kegs full. Been inviting more people over to drink all those, to keep something open.

I play tennis in summer with 12-20 guys and paddle in winter with 6-10 guys. I bring beer.

I brew N 5 gal batches per year, always under the legal limit, in the US that's 200 gal per household with 2 legal aged adults.

Consumption demand is usually N+2.

Approximately.

1649965505863.png

I brew 17.5 gallon batches to get 15 gallons into kegs, the rest goes to dumping trub, yeast, dry hops.
It works out to about every three weeks. For a long time I was brewing every 2 weeks but consumption seems to have slowed at my house and could easily seeing this go to once a month.

We're averaging brewing about once every 3 weeks. For the most part, 17.5 gallons into the fermenter every time. Occasionally, if we have a lager brewing or something that takes up the fermenter for longer than 3 weeks, we'll brew a small batch of something. That ends up being 8 gallons to the fermenter. Right now actually have 17.5 gallons of lager going and 10 gallons of a breakfast sour!

We're averaging brewing about once every 3 weeks. For the most part, 17.5 gallons into the fermenter every time. Occasionally, if we have a lager brewing or something that takes up the fermenter for longer than 3 weeks, we'll brew a small batch of something. That ends up being 8 gallons to the fermenter. Right now actually have 17.5 gallons of lager going and 10 gallons of a breakfast sour!
What is a breakfast sour?

I usually brew 1.7 to 2.0 gallons. I haven't brewed in about 6 months now though because I have literally 11 cases of various brews in the cellar right now. I brew way more than I can drink.
Me too. I have 12 cases of 12 oz bottles that all have beer in them, most are more than half full. 2 cases of 16 oz bottles I use for bitters and English Pale ales. Again mostly full. My kegerator has 2 taps and holds 3 cornies. Right now I only have one keg on tap, planning 2 lagers. One is in secondary/lagering, one yet to be brewed. After that second lager I probably won’t brew again til at least August.

Y'all are crazy. I don't have the time for all that brewing... And if I had the time I wouldn't have the space or money... If I had the time, space and money I wouldn't have the liver capacity.

I brew about 4-6 times a year. So far I've done one batch this year. (all my batches are 5 gallons)

I brew pretty much every weekend, 2.5 gallon batches. Brewing is very cathartic for me and it gives me something to look forward to doing. I keep my process very simple so it doesn't take me all day and I always have a pretty good variety of beers available.

Y'all are crazy. I don't have the time for all that brewing... And if I had the time I wouldn't have the space or money... If I had the time, space and money I wouldn't have the liver capacity.

I brew about 4-6 times a year. So far I've done one batch this year. (all my batches are 5 gallons)

It takes me less than 5 hours to brew and another 2 hours to bottle (along with washing equipment). It doesn’t seem like too much time once a week to me. In terms of price, my beer is at least twice as cheap and better than the one I would normally buy and drink. I enjoy it while brew it, I enjoy it while drinking it and it’s even cheaper. Could it be better?

Okay, I gotta ask. How is it that a guy in the Czech Republic says"Y'all," measures in gallons, and makes jokes in Latin? :p

Okay, I gotta ask. How is it that a guy in the Czech Republic says"Y'all," measures in gallons, and makes jokes in Latin? :p
Ha! I'm a born Minnesotan, lived the first 25 years of my life there, then moved to Czech Republic for love - that was 15 years ago. Got married and started a family. I hardly know any Latin but my education is in theology so that explains the joke (or as I would argue a poignant theological truth).

I find it difficult to find time to brew mostly due to family responsibilities. I'm a husband, father, employee, housekeeper, cook, landscaper, Mr. Fix it, etc. So hobbies take not just a back seat but are shoved somewhere back in the trunk.

I brew about 3-4 times a month, always 5g batches. Beer goes fast in our house, and I do occasionally bottle some to share with friends/coworkers. Most of it goes down my gullet, though. Liver is in great shape. I try to keep my ABV in the 4-5% range, hardly ever get drunk, maybe a little tipsy once a week. Brewing is what I look forward to all week while staring at screens. Brewing this morning, as a matter of fact, and staring at a screen. Darn HBT.

Last year I brewed nearly every weekend five gallon batches. I show 36 bathes last year but I am sure that I am missing one of two...

For this year I am at 5 five gallon batches.

I show 36 bathes last year but I am sure that I am missing one of two...

Didn't realize we were counting baths :D

I brew several times a month 5 gallons on most beers, 10 on popular beers. Brewing schedule changes a bit. Sometimes I take a month or more off, other times I brew several times a week.

What is a breakfast sour?
LOL, it's a beer which attempts the emulate the flavors of the ever popular Breakfast Parfait. This beer has Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, Blueberry, Vanilla and Granola.

I called it a breakfast sour and should have called it a breakfast parfait sour.

My goal is to brew one 10 gallon batch a month. Being its April and just went thru a blizzard and no brews yet I am a little behind. I might get 3 or four this year. Might have to pull an all dayer and do a double brew.

Didn't realize we were counting baths :D

I brew several times a month 5 gallons on most beers, 10 on popular beers. Brewing schedule changes a bit. Sometimes I take a month or more off, other times I brew several times a week.

I have only really have counted due to the YouTube Channel, and trying to enter competitions. 😂 So the info is normally with in reach so I know what is what and where it needs to go. But if neither where a thing then I would probably have no idea.😃

I usually do 5 gallon batches 2-3 times a month, depending on how quickly I can turn around my fermenters. Sometimes I'll do a 2-3 gallon smaller batch to test something out, or sometimes I'll brew a 6 gallon batch and split it into two 3-gallon secondaries to play with different dry hops/fruits/etc. I only have two 3-gallon kegs though, so must stuff is aimed at keeping my pipeline of 5-gallon kegs full.

I just got a canning setup though, so moving forward, I'll probably do 8-gallon batches of beers I want more of or want to share; enough to fill a 5-gallon keg to have on draft, and then a 3-gallon keg to put into cans.

I most typically brew 2- or 3-gallon batches twice a month, with some cider and wine projects always going alongside them.

LOL, it's a beer which attempts the emulate the flavors of the ever popular Breakfast Parfait. This beer has Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, Blueberry, Vanilla and Granola.

I called it a breakfast sour and should have called it a breakfast parfait sour.
Sounds delicious. This might get me into eating breakfast. Any chance you would be willing to share the recipe?

This brew goes to eleven:
View attachment 765903
I've been brewing since 1994 and will do batch #295 this weekend. The average is 10.5 times per year. All 5 gallon batches. My "Spinale" has been a regular since 2017, but it only makes sense in old school HBUs.

What? No Seventh Sojourn Saison??

I got a late start this year as I've only done three 5 gallon batches. I did do those batches in the last two months though. I've not done a lot of brewing til this year.

I used to brew all the time. 15 17.5 gallon batches. I’m brewing 4 days in a row coming up next weekend. I’ll do 4 17.5 batches and 3 5 gallon batches. I can run both at the same time. The 5g batches will be biab no sparge. Kolsch, Saison, Triple, and IPA. The 5s will be RIS, Quad, and CDA. I’m sick of buying beer!! Problem Solved!

Last edited:
Ten to 12 times per year, 5 gallon batches, though most of that is between March and August with another 2~3 sessions in the early fall. Only four in the logbook so far for 2022, but we've been traveling more since Covid has started subsiding.

Toss in a half-dozen wine fermentations and a random cider, and my Idle Time Dancecard is usually full year-round.

I do spurts of nearly every week to skipping a few weeks. 6.5g batches with 5 into a keg and the rest going to cans/crowlers/growlers and given away immediately. Maybe quarterly I'll do a canning day of around 50 cans and give away basically everything I can. Those are a mix of stuff I'm tired of and some new stuff. Summer we do a get together weekly and I'll take upwards of a gallon in crowlers to those and send whatever doesn't get consumed home with someone. Hopefully Covid is waning and there will be more on-premises consumption.

Nowhere near as much as I would like. I have been on a long slow journey to try to restrain my brewing to clear through my backlog of beer. I have a lot in bottles that is both homebrew and purchased. I am also trying to buy less to drink down my cellar to a reasonable volume. I also have a friend who works for a beer distributor and gives me all the out of code beer he thinks I'll like. He gave me thirty pint cans last weekend. Right now I think I have around thirty-five cases of beer spread out between two storage closets and a closet-sized refrigerated cellar.

These days I'm putting down three or four three gallon batches to fill a keg and four or five one gallon batches that go in bottles every year. Hoping in the next couple years I'll be down enough to get back to brewing once every month or two.

Bi-monthly to monthly-1 gallon brews. I like the smaller batches for that reason. It lets me make something fairly quick, mak3 minor changes and do it again. I also a have brew shop in town, so I have like no wait time on getting ingredients.

So far this year, I just brewed my 12th 5gallon batch. Trying to brew every other week. Last year I did 21 batches, 19 the year before. Somehow I've made more friends over the years!

I'd brew every weekend if I could, but life... Last Saturday was sort of a double brew day, as the base wort came from a local brewery/homebrew club day. That makes 5-5G batches this year, a slow start for beer. But I also do wine, cider, and mead and need to bottle the heavy stuff to make room for the daily drinkers.

I'm currently doing 1, sometimes 2, 6 gallon batches every 2 weeks. Lots to give away!!!
I brew every 2 weeks almost religiously. I’d brew more but I only have one fermenter and fermentation fridge. I make 2.5 gallon batches for new recipes (stored in small torpedo kegs) and full 5 gallon batches for tested and proven recipes. I generally have a hard time keeping the 5 taps on my keezer all full at once.

Typically, I do 5g batches once a month if it's just the wife and I drinking and I'm not giving away much. Lately, it's been every couple of weeks just to keep up. My homebrew club poured our stuff at the local beer fest and that nearly drained two almost full kegs, and this weekend I'm taking a keg to a friends party.

5 gallon batches usually 3x month. That keeps the fermentors and kegs full. Occasionally I'll do a double batch to experiment with yeast or dry hops. Too much beer to consume by myself, but I have plenty of friends and beer club buddies who like when I share.

I'm still somewhat a newb, been brewing just over 5 months now. In that time frame, I've brewed around 70 gals. First 2 batches were 6 gals each, realized pretty quickly that wasn't going to cut it. Everything after has been 12 gals (5 batches).

I was doing double batches to get 12 gals which wasn't very enjoyable. Just picked up a larger setup that'll cut the brew time and work load in half, looking forward to getting some of the spare kegs filled up. My favorite so far is a California Common, so needless to say it goes quicker than the others I've brewed.. but I try to maintain 3 options on tap.

Back