How much lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HansF

Reaction score
Bottling a cream ale later today. Trying to figure out how much lactose to add before bottling (5 gallon batch). Looking at various recipes, I am seeing anywhere from .15 lb to 1 lb. What determines, besides personal preference, the amount to use? Last time I used lactose (for a stout) I used .4 lbs. This is my first cream ale.

Are you sure you mean lactose? Lactose is generally added in the boil, and adds a sweetness I don't think you're going to want in a cream ale. Sure you're not talking about corn sugar for bottle priming?

Ok. Just reread your post. Looks like you do mean lactose. I've used half a pound in my sweet stout at the 10 min mark during the boil, but I suppose you could do more or less based on your preference.

I add my lactose when i secondary or keg, I usually add 1/2 lb for cream ales and a 1lb for stouts. I boil it in a 8oz of water and let it cool and toss it in my keg or secondary and rack on top. never had any issues before with this method. however, be sure to inform your friends that there's lactose in the brew...you don't wanna give someone "muddbutt" at your house!

Lactose doesn't really ferment much, so you can add it whenever. Add a little, try it, then add more if you need it. You can keep adding - you just can't take away! :)

When I first used lactose in a stout (about a year ago), my LHBS owner suggested I add it right before bottling (along with my priming sugar). Seemed to work pretty good. Took a few extra weeks in the bottle to get "creamy". That is my plan with this Orange Cream Ale that I am now bottling later today. I was looking for an amount to use, sounds like 1/2 lb seems a good amount to try. Wasn't sure if there was a limit of "too much" is too much. Thanks for the replies.

Back