How long to store milled grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
I am planning to grab enough crushed grain from my LHBS for 3 batches. With how much I brew, I would be storing the final recipe for two months. I will vacuum seal once I get the ingredients home, and maybe store them in the chest freezer.

So can I store crushed grains that long? Will they be ok if I store them out of the freezer?

Two months is a bit long for crushed grains. I'd say a week crushed is about reasonable. If you must store your grain crushed then a freezer and vacuum packaging is the way to go.

If the "L" in LHBS really means local to your location and you can get there within a reasonable amount of time I would definitely make separate trips allowing you to brew storing the grains for a minimal amount of time. FWIW the longest I stored milled grains before brewing was two weeks and that was due to the need to deal with some home emergencies. If the LHBS is not so local it may be worth your while to purchase a mill. That's my next purchase and my LHBS is only 3 miles away. Best of luck in what you decide.

I've had good luck in the past with crushed grain lasting a month or two. I didn't vacuum seal, but did refrigerate.

I would think that just vacuum sealing would better than just refrigerating... But both would be better :)

Buy a Corona mill and build a mill in a bucket... never buy crushed grain again :mug:

If the "L" in LHBS really means local to your location and you can get there within a reasonable amount of time I would definitely make separate trips allowing you to brew storing the grains for a minimal amount of time. FWIW the longest I stored milled grains before brewing was two weeks and that was due to the need to deal with some home emergencies. If the LHBS is not so local it may be worth your while to purchase a mill. That's my next purchase and my LHBS is only 3 miles away. Best of luck in what you decide.

"Local" is 45 minutes one way. Grain mill is probably the next purchase. Just a matter of picking between a roller and corona.

I've had good luck in the past with crushed grain lasting a month or two. I didn't vacuum seal, but did refrigerate.

I would think that just vacuum sealing would better than just refrigerating... But both would be better :)

Buy a Corona mill and build a mill in a bucket... never buy crushed grain again :mug:

Now the question is Corona or roller? Aesthetically a roller would be nice, but the ugly junk is better for the wallet.

I got my corona in 2011. I asked for it for Christmas and have not sprung for a roller mill yet. When I do it will most likely be a Monster Mill at about $250.

In the mean time vacuum bag and freeze or at least refrigerate.

If stored airtight and within dark and proper conditions as you so have said you will do... Briess has told many that their precrushed 50lb bags are good for a year. Each maltster will have their own preference.

Saying a week is too long is overkill. And ever freezing and refrigerating is overkill in my opinion

Now the question is Corona or roller? Aesthetically a roller would be nice, but the ugly junk is better for the wallet.

Ugly junk is quick, cheap, an easy... Under $30 for me

If you brew more than once or twice per month, then maybe a roller makes sense... for me (very irregular brew schedule) the corona was ideal.... plus I BIAB, so a fine crush with shredded husks works well for me... Don't have to worry about a stuck sparge...

Ugly junk is quick, cheap, an easy... Under $30 for me

If you brew more than once or twice per month, then maybe a roller makes sense... for me (very irregular brew schedule) the corona was ideal.... plus I BIAB, so a fine crush with shredded husks works well for me... Don't have to worry about a stuck sparge...

I also BIAB, and got a lot of junk around...i think I have made up my mind.

Thanks everyone for their help:mug:

Barley is food. Do what you do with food. Taste it. Taste some base malt right after crushing. Let it soak in your cheeks or under your tongue for a few minutes to draw out the flavor. Take the time to remember the flavor. Taste it again every week and look for staling. When it tastes to far gone, don't use it.

Latest posts

Back