How important is a temp step mash???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtbrown54

Reaction score
So i've got a Czech pils that id like to get rolling tomorrow, but I have a question.

The ingredients kit with 2 sets of instructions -one is single temp (151 for 60) and one is a multiple step mash with 3 different temps.

How much will I be losing if I take the short cut and don't do the multi-step mash?

M

If you read a bunch on the forum you will fine the general idea that it is not necessary. I don't think you'll lose anything, however I haven't tested this as I have yet to rebrew my pilsner without the decoction.

I know a beta glucan rest is important if you have unmalted ingredients like flaked wheat or oats (around 105f 15 min). And a protein rest will improve clarity which is important in a pils (around 122f 15min). Then the conversion between 150-158 for an hour will extract sugars from your grains.

How do I calculate how much wort to remove from my mash after the protein rest to bring it up to 151??

Is there a spreadsheet or formula?

The steps are VERY grain-type dependent. Post your recipe and we can help. A classic pils would involve undermodified malt and a multi-decoction mash, but I'm willing to bet that your kit has well modified 2-row.

Sorry guys.

Im on my phone and it "autocorrected" and deleted most of my text. Ill upload the while thing when I get back to my laptop.

Attached an image of the complete recipe.

image-1214059016.jpg

You could get away with not doing a protein rest. Mash at 152 for 60min. Are you planning on fly sparging?

Thanks, I ended up doing a 30 min protien rest then 45 min at 151. (Beer smith instructions)

It went really well. Pic attached.

image-1467918774.jpg

image-374566875.jpg

Back