How does tis recipe look (American IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjohnwilliams

Reaction score
A friend of a friend passed me this recipe to try ( I have not had a chance to taste the beer ) and before I brew it I was hoping to get some feedback before I brew it.

9# 2-row malt
1# Munich malt
1# wheat malt
.5# carapils
3 oz chocolate malt

.5 oz Chinook (mash)
1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Chinook (15 min)
1 oz Chinook ( 0 min)
1 oz Amarillo ( dry hop - 5 days)

US-05 yeast

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I've never used chocolate in a pale before. Might be good. Don't know till you try it. What temp are you mashing at? Also you show hops in the mash. I would like to know how that works out for you. I've thought about before but never tried it. Looks like a solid recipe.

The chocolate I'm using mostly for colour. This will also be the first time I've tried mash hopping, so I will post back when this is done.

You might consider adding the chocolate at vorlauf. That way you'll get the color you want with very minimal flavor contribution. I would also suggest moving the mash hop to first wort. Everything I read about mash hops says they are a waste.

You might consider adding the chocolate at vorlauf. That way you'll get the color you want with very minimal flavor contribution. I would also suggest moving the mash hop to first wort. Everything I read about mash hops says they are a waste.

That is a good idea about the chocolate malt, I think that is what I will do. I have never tried doing a FWH, so I may give this a try as well

I'd use more dry hops (I generally go 3-4oz for IPA's) and add an ounce of Amarillo to your 0min addition. Also, let your 0min additions steep for around 20 minutes before you start the chiller. +1 on moving the mash addition to FWH. Maybe add a pound of 2-row as well?

I'd remove the Munich altogether, but that's purely a taste thing - I'm not a fan of Munich. Looks like it'll be a tasty beer. Enjoy.

I'd use more dry hops (I generally go 3-4oz for IPA's) and add an ounce of Amarillo to your 0min addition. Also, let your 0min additions steep for around 20 minutes before you start the chiller. +1 on moving the mash addition to FWH. Maybe add a pound of 2-row as well?

I'd remove the Munich altogether, but that's purely a taste thing - I'm not a fan of Munich. Looks like it'll be a tasty beer. Enjoy.

The 1oz amarillo is based on what I have on hand, perhaps I could add an oz of cascade or simcoe. I was planning on letting the 0 min steep for 20 min.

The chocolate I'm using mostly for colour. This will also be the first time I've tried mash hopping, so I will post back when this is done.

What color are you going for with the chocolate addition? If you're looking for an amberish pale ale, C120 with an extended boil can help do the trick as well.

What are your projected OG and FG....you definitely need more late and dry hops...its just a matter of how much.

Change mash hop to FWH and I'd prolly drop the chocolate.

The chocolate is bringing the colour to 11 SRM whixh is where I want it to be. I am not a fan of the darker crystals which is why I want to stick with the chocolate. The projected og is 1.062 and the fg is 1.017, a bit higher than is typical for an American IPA, but still within style guidlines and I prefer my IPAs a bit less dry than most. The ibu calculates as 69 which is about where I want it to be.

1017 is straight up sweet for an IPA, you'll need double if not triple the late hops to have an IPA hop profile with that much sweetness in the way. Also, dry hop with no less than 3 oz for this beer.

Who cares about the color of an IPA. If the color is bringing flavor(ie munich, vienna ect), great...if you are adding things just for color, I don't get it.

With that being said, brew the beer you think you want. That's the benefit of homebrewing.

If you try the post mash chocolate addition, let us know how it goes. I'm interested to see if you'll get the full color contribution.

A change in work schedule means I won't get a chance to brew until next weekend, but I will post with updates when I do

Latest posts

Back