How close is your "local" home brew shop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 blocks. I walk there if ive been drinking. And its the Mac Daddy of LHBS. 250 malts, probably 50+ hops, all staff is knowledgeable, and a legal nano brewery inside. I love you Chicago Brew Werks...

I've got one about 15 minutes away and a better one about 40 minutes away. The better one has wonky hours (closes at 6), so I hardly ever go.

2 of them pretty much exactly the same time/distance away, one east, one south

both thru the suckiest traffic imaginable

lhbs.jpg

I love Portland! I have two within 2 miles and a third about 5 Miles away. Each has a little different variety of grains so one stop shopping isn't always the best option......

The great LHBS is 13 miles away but believe it or not, there's a mini garden center owned by a homebrewer that also sells some brewing supplies. Expensive and not well stocked but closer if I need an emergency supplies.

From my house in Orange County, CA - 18 and 20 miles on SoCal freeways, so between 20 - 30 minutes and several hours. But I work up in LA county and there's one 2 miles from my office. I generally slide over there at lunch to buy supplies.

Two within 10 miles (right between home and work) and 4 more within 30 miles. Southern New England has become homebrew heaven. If one shop doesn't have it, someone else does.

Three I frequent, each about an hour away, different directions. There are several more between 1 & 1 1/2 hours that I haven't tried. The newest one I found is Lodi Winery Lab. Just recently found out they carry brewing supplies. I go to Lodi every week or so anyway & they had some pretty nice prices compared to the other shops. $38 for a bag of 2-row & $1.50 a lb for specialty grains.

Mine is around 40 miles away, but close to work... Only a few miles from the school where I teach, so I usually go after work.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A close decent one? Let's see here Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies are about an hour and a half away. My actual LHBS is about 15 miles away but it sucks! I've learned to plan well in advance because it's a lot cheaper to order online

My closest is only minutes away (and it's a brewpub as well), but he's more geared towards beer brewers as far as ingredients go, and I'm doing meads any more - he's got any equipment I'd need, basic stuff - hydrometers, bottle caps, airlocks, bungs, etc, but for more mead/wine specific stuff, I make the 18 mile drive to west Knoxville for that stuff, and try to buy enough stuff to make it worth the trip.....the truly local place is pretty cool, stop in to buy some caps or StarSan or whatever, have a pint, shoot the **** with the owner - they had brewed a blonde yesterday before I went to pick up more caps, it smelled amazing .... they're operation is in full view - I gotta manage to stop by when they're actually brewing, have never witnessed brewing on that scale....I tried their "Belgian Saison" today, was pretty OK....not my fave, but...not big on saisons ...yet :)

There are two, one is 15 minutes away and they are nice, prices are okay, but they don't have smaller quantities than 1 pound bags. The 45 minutes away store has a giant selection, lower prices, the store has been in business for 28 years, and if I only want 1 oz of something, that is all I have to buy.
So, if I drive to Reno for something, I make the time to go by the bigger store, have a cold one, and usually strike up conversations with other customers about beer. Sometimes I even buy stuff.:)

The closest one to me is a 5 minute drive but they don't have much more than ingredients. If I need equipment it's about 20 minutes each way.

3 blocks. I walk there if ive been drinking. And its the Mac Daddy of LHBS. 250 malts, probably 50+ hops, all staff is knowledgeable, and a legal nano brewery inside. I love you Chicago Brew Werks...

Greatest LHBS ever! That reminds me, I need supplies.

I'm 10 minutes from CBW. Shop local buy local!

forgot, we actually had a new one open up within the last year

and an even closer one opening next month (hopefully)

depending on time of day, traffic can suck a little or a whole lot.

lhbs2.jpg

I am so freakin' spoiled. Northern Brewer's retail shop is about one mile away.

Some 15 miles or so for me, about 15 minutes up I90. Small shop, but has some good stuff. Now if they just carried the main brands of grains so I didn't have to order the ones I like to use...JW Dover.

Northern Brewer is about two blocks off my normal way to and from work. It's about 15 minutes each way from my house if I needed something on a weekend.

About a 15 min drive approx 7 miles. Gotta love small town traffic.

depeneds on what side of town. I work around the green arrow, live by the red arrow... so it just depends where i'm at around town.

homebrewshops_zpsd167a3b4.jpg

Mine's about 10 minutes down the freeway. Pretty close, but its not on the way to anywhere else I frequent. Still not bad though, and I don't mind the trip.

2 miles from one and 12 miles from the other. I go further so I can deal with people who know their **** and actually enjoy facing the customer.

About 10 minutes with decent traffic, up to 20 minutes depending on time of day. Also highway is under construction so usually about 15 currently. There's also a brewery within walking distance, and four bars that supply me with empty bottles on occasion within 10 minutes :)

Two and a half blocks. Conveniently also right in the middle of our farmers market, and on the way to the grocery store and my kid's school. Not the cheapest or most convenient hours but....the location can't be beat.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back