How close is your "local" home brew shop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
I have to drive 30 minutes each way to my LHBS, but after reading a few other posts, I'm starting to feel lucky that it's that close.

How far are you driving to your LHBS?

About a mile. Very close. So close that I have even made emergency trips during my boil for something I forgot.

The nearest place is just over 150 miles away, near Appleton, WI. I rarely get there, though, but I'm planning a trip later this month for sacks of grain and yeast and a big 'stock up' trip. Otherwise, I order online and pay shipping for most orders.

About 5 miles. Brewers Art Supply.
Pretty cool place. I'm just starting to get into formulating my own recipes, so we will see how patient that are. LOL

I am fortunate to drive by mine both to and from work every day. :) It is about 10 miles door to door.

My old LHBS was about 6 miles away , but with the highway it was a 10 min trip. Just moved to the west side of town and my new store is literally 5 min down the road...if say I'm pretty fortunate

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Going to try and start a small supply for 6-8 local brewers I know. not a business but a place where we can buy bulk base grains and hops only. any suggestions? starting with 150-250 lbs of grains and 30-40 oz of hops. I just think we should be able to brew for less$. :confused:

Before I moved, i had two LHBS, each a few miles away from home in different directions. Now I'm 2.5 miles from the one I always liked better. :)

I have 2 stores that are each about 20 minutes from me, even in traffic. So I am pretty well set, for anything they don't have, there is always the internet.

Closest one is about 5 minutes by bicycle. They'll even come out and hold the (cargo) bike while I load a sack of two-row. Great shop.

45 mins both ways... so only use as emergency, otherwise just click the checkout button!

About a 2.5 hr round trip. I try to order stuff online, but everyone uses UPS or Fedex these days, and their shipping rates to Hawaii are ridiculous. I can get an all grain recipe kit on Northern Brewer for $20, but shipping it here is an extra $34. Sucks when the LHBS charges $1.70 for 2-row and $2.50 for anything else. AND they limit how much grain you can buy at once. Pretty frustrating...

The nearest LHBS of the three in the area is less than a mile away, and the beauty of it is that they want to support the Beer club that I joined, they will be sending us discount cards and such!

There are three. They are all a 30 minute drive, in different directions.

On the other hand, it's a 10 minute drive for me to the nearest anything. So 30 minutes isn't too bad.

5 days by mail. There is not a LHBS in Huntsville. We do have Pearly Gates but everything there is a bazillion yrs old so I don't go there.

~30 minutes each way from home but only 15 from my office. However there's a new place only about 15 minutes away from home. The good news is they are close. The bad news is they don't know much at all about brewing, don't carry a lot of merchandise, and have had a lot of staff turnover.

15 minutes southwest to my favorite, 40 minutes due east to the runner-up, 20 minutes west to an also-ran.

Could definitely be way way worse...

Cheers!

About 20 miles, but I work on the road, paid to drive. I plan my trips.
Being in the central Fl area, I am lucky enough to have several other choices, but I am very loyal to my shop, hearts home brew.

100 mile round trip for me. I'm actually goin up there tomorrow to get some stuff for a buddies birthday beer, but I was going most of the way for other reasons anyway.

I usually order online. Small stuff like a couple pounds of specialty grains or a few ounces of hops can be had from the brew pub I work at as a job perk.

Mine is a few hundred yards from my back door, takes about 2 minutes to drive if the traffic is bad. Very lucky that they opened there, before that it was about 25 minute drive each way.

My closest (and the one I usually use) is about 15 minutes if traffic agrees with me. If not, then who knows. But there are 6 others (that I know of, there may be more) within about an hour (again assuming traffic is agreeable) although most of those are at about an hour away.

Back