How can we help eliminate misinformation on this site?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also know for a fact that this rating system will undoubtedly require a host of development and deployment issues, so make sure this is a good idea.

+1 A few perfectly capable and experienced brewers have left over "discussions" on their brewing practices. I think a rating system will only encourage more of this.

I think we can all agree that Miller Lite tastes great AND is less filling. We don't need a rating system to find out which one is true.

Seriously though, you don't see the irony of rating a post +1 that argues against a rating sytem?

I don't thhink we need to chnage anything.

When I first started I read tons of threads and did get some conflicting info. I am also smart enough to know that sometimes there is more than one solution to a problem. If two people offer different solutions, is one right and one wrong? Not necessarily so, beacuse they both may work.

I have had questions and read tons of pages of answers and then weeded out what I
thought was the best info and went with it.

For the most part I find this forum very civil and informative. Sure, sometimes posters will give info that I do not agree with, but I just let it go. I try what I belie e will work best and then evaluate the results.

Fact: Beer is Good

I now am the owner of the most relevant and indisputable fact on this board. Rate me highly and rate me often for if you disagree with this fact, your peril will be swift and defeat ignominious. I assure you, my high rating will be used for good and not evil even when I discuss things I know nothing about such as welding and

well that's really about it. ;)

I dispute. Everyone knows it's a fact that Ben Franklin is the one that said "beer is good" ;)

I don't thhink we need to chnage anything.

When I first started I read tons of threads and did get some conflicting info. I am also smart enough to know that sometimes there is more than one solution to a problem. If two people offer different solutions, is one right and one wrong? Not necessarily so, beacuse they both may work.

I have had questions and read tons of pages of answers and then weeded out what I
thought was the best info and went with it.

For the most part I find this forum very civil and informative. Sure, sometimes posters will give info that I do not agree with, but I just let it go. I try what I belie e will work best and then evaluate the results.

+1...JK,put those bottles down! This is def a true statement,it's what I've done with my theories of beer evolution.

Fact: Beer is Good

I now am the owner of the most relevant and indisputable fact on this board. Rate me highly and rate me often for if you disagree with this fact, your peril will be swift and defeat ignominious. I assure you, my high rating will be used for good and not evil even when I discuss things I know nothing about such as welding and

well that's really about it. ;)

-1 Beer is not good, its delicious

It's funny because I had no idea this thread would be so polarizing.

I think if something like this were to be implemented, it would be good idea if you were only given the option to like a post or give it a thumbs up. That way it keeps things positive and no one gets butt-hurt because their post was disliked or given a thumbs down.

I also think it's funny that a few of the people in this thread that argued against the idea of a rating system did the "+1" thing to several post and in one case 3 times in a row. A like button would cut down on all that clutter.

I also think it's funny that a few of the people in this thread that argued against the idea of a rating system did the "+1" thing to several post and in one case 3 times in a row. A like button would cut down on all that clutter.

But what if I wanted to do a +1,000,000? then I'd have to hit the thumbs up button a million times!!!:D

To get rid of misinformation, you pay tuition to Siebel and get your degree ;)

Otherwise its 'buyer beware' when taking in information.

This forum is great, and that is largely because everyone is genuinely trying to help one another. I have personally never observed someone deliberately trying to give bad information, and in this day and age, and yes, on the internet that is so full of malicious and juvenile behavior, that is a true blessing.
I, for one, have never been strongly in favor of proposing bureaucratic solutions to problems that don't exist.

If anyone ever believes a answer to a question from the internet without searching other answers, their doomed and deserve to fail

This BBS needs a ministry of information. And as we all know every ministry needs a minister. I dig this guys credentials:

IraqiInformationMinister.jpg

Here he is saying "No bubbling in the airlock means no activity in the fermenter, we will dump the beer."

Don't take the advice of the first person that responds to your question as 'the right way'. The whole purpose of the forums is to discuss. Throw your question or idea out there and see what comes back.

True, anybody can pay to be a premium member, it doesn't mean they have more knowledge than anybody else on here. Maybe they just happen to feel it's a worthwhile cause. Nobody has to pay to use the information on the site.

I think the best advice I've seen on here when it comes to brewnoobs is to read this book. Interestingly enough, it's free too! :ban:

The best way to eliminate bad information is to drown it with good information. Drown the 1 bad post in a thread with 10 good ones.

When you post, do it to help the OP--NOT to disagree with something someone else said.

Posting to try and prove another post wrong is when the thread goes OT and spirals down the bowl. That helps noone.

10 pages? So quickly?! I shall invoke Godwins Law.

You know who else used ranking systems?

All kidding aside, this site is great. You're all instrumental int brewing knowledge, whether it's "won't be doing that!" or "I should try that sometime"

Love you all, *hugs*
xoxoxo

The best way to eliminate bad information is to drown it with good information. Drown the 1 bad post in a thread with 10 good ones.

When you post, do it to help the OP--NOT to disagree with something someone else said.

Posting to try and prove another post wrong is when the thread goes OT and spirals down the bowl. That helps noone.

^^^ This guy is a wise man! Thumbs up :D

Rev.

Can't seem to figure out how to thumbs up a post on iPhone app. There are a lot that deserve it in this thread.

What if correct infomation just got bigger and bigger in proportion to thumbs up?

You know what I think? I think we should have ALL posts default to that size. I'm old, and I like big font.

I dislike the idea of any sort of ratings system. It goes against my whole "RDWHAHB" philsophy. I'm a hyper person, but I'm very easy going about most things especially brewing. I don't like the idea of any sort of popularity contest and I think a ratings system would be close to that.

Just remember that high post count does not equal brewing knowledge. Take all advice with a grain of salt, and listen to people you trust. That's really all that's needed in my opinion.

Airborneguy said:
In these 15 pages, did anyone point out that the person complaining about the information he sees on this forum does not support this forum?

As a proud supporter, I'd like to say that I can feel the burn from here!

^^^ This guy is a wise man! Thumbs up :D

Rev.

Thanks Rev.

I just think that your first reason to post should be to help the OP.

Address the OPs ??s.

If that isn't your motive to post, then don't post.

I also follow something dad told me awhile back and that was:

"Son, don't argue with idiots!"

I didn't read the whole thread so pardon me if I m repeating something already said.
Notice the giant number under Revvy's name? Listen to that guy. Problem solved.

You're making it harder than it has to be. There are some members here that routinely give great advice. Why not recognize them in some way? Then when a beginner is making their own informed choice, they can say "hey, this person has obviously given good advice in the past, maybe their advice will weigh more heavily in my final decision."
But as others have said "good advice" is relative. I quit giving advice when newbies kept contradicting the answers I learned over many years. I always try to take the position that X works for me, and may not for everyone.

For many questions asked there is no absolute answer, just different techniques to get to the same end.

In these 15 pages, did anyone point out that the person complaining about the information he sees on this forum does not support this forum?

I'm not complaining at all, I've learned a lot in my time here, I was just proposing an idea that I thought may improve the experience for noobs. It was just something that I thought should be discussed. No need to get so worked up about it.

And I do support this forum. Maybe not in the form of donations, but I attempt the answer as many questions as I can to the best of my ability. Everyone contributes differently.

How in the hell did you get 156 posts in one thread in one day?! This has got to be a record.

(it's 158 now)

How in the hell did you get 156 posts in one thread in one day?! This has got to be a record.

I hope you don't mind, but I gave you a thumbs down. I don't want to see a HBT aristocracy start. Besides, so many of my witty comments are taken the wrong way I would clearly be voted off the island. I even had a guy post that I was drinking once because he didn't like what I said. I think a "Lighten Up" button that would be similar to Facebook's "Like" button would be more beneficial.

(it's 158 now)

Trolling thats how.

Back