Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a lot of people posting about how quickly kveik gets you down to F.G., from 3-4 days, however I have this happen consistantly when I use either London ale III or Imperial dry-hop. Active fermentation with Krausen starts within 12 hours and I go from 1.062-1.064 down to 1.012-1.014 in just about 72 hours. Am I experiencing non typical results?

At the OG you listed kveik yeasts are done in under 48 hours, likely close to 24. I would say your results are normal as well (for ales at that gravity).

I see a lot of people posting about how quickly kveik gets you down to F.G., from 3-4 days, however I have this happen consistantly when I use either London ale III or Imperial dry-hop. Active fermentation with Krausen starts within 12 hours and I go from 1.062-1.064 down to 1.012-1.014 in just about 72 hours. Am I experiencing non typical results?
Are you fermenting at high temps? If you are that would be the reason. Kveik manages high temps very well do to the way it was used over many many years in the Norwegian farms. Other yeast tend to give off flavours.

635470t.jpg
First NEIPA batch with Hornindal. Went from 1.061 to 1.011 after 3 days. Nice aroma and mouthfeel feels thicker than 1.011. Haven't dry hopped yet. Going to wait until day 7 to start crashing and then dry hop a few days later. Fermenting at 85F.
Looks gorgeous! Yum yum. Can't wait to try my Voss kveik!

I was going to use this strain in a kettle sour, until I was listening to milk the funk podcast last night about kettle sours, and one of the guests was from omega and mentioned they "can" have a hard time fully attenuating due to the ph. Still half tempted to pitch it with yeast nutrients anyways.

Same results I get, I find myself having the same thought as you. Maybe we should try the yeast just to see what's up

For a normal ale most yeasts will hit terminal gravity within a few days. That being said, how many of those beers are ready to drink? A lot of those strains need time to clean up and settle out and mature. With something like Voss or Hornindal you can realistically have a beer ready to drink within 48-72 hours.

Are you fermenting at high temps? If you are that would be the reason. Kveik manages high temps very well do to the way it was used over many many years in the Norwegian farms. Other yeast tend to give off flavours.
Not excessively high temps, just the typical driving temps to 74-76 during active fermentation to produce the ester profile.

I have done some research on the strain, however I just noticed some people talk about reaching FG in 3-4 days which just confused me a little since I am to do that with the two yeast I stated previously. Now I see that some people are getting to FG in 20-40hrs which is insane.

I was going to use this strain in a kettle sour, until I was listening to milk the funk podcast last night about kettle sours, and one of the guests was from omega and mentioned they "can" have a hard time fully attenuating due to the ph. Still half tempted to pitch it with yeast nutrients anyways.

I constantly have fruited kettle sours on tap, at the request of my wife. I have used Hornindal multiple times without issue!

For a normal ale most yeasts will hit terminal gravity within a few days. That being said, how many of those beers are ready to drink? A lot of those strains need time to clean up and settle out and mature. With something like Voss or Hornindal you can realistically have a beer ready to drink within 48-72 hours.
Ok so that’s the bigger benefit; Genuinely finished, cleaned up, and with being force carbed, ready to drink in 3/4 days? What’s the ester production like?

upload_2019-1-13_19-30-43.jpeg

This is my Neipa 7 days after bottling. It’s nearly fully carbonated and no off flavors. Super tropical and smells like grapefruit, tangerine, and pineapple. This is one of the best beers and by far the fastest that I’ve made and was finished in 2 weeks from brewing to opening the first bottle.

Everyones going grain to glass superfast but aren’t these big hop beers green? Always find a couple weeks is needed to soften the hops and round out the beer. Im sure it still applies here......what are you guys finding re: the beer.

Everyones going grain to glass superfast but aren’t these big hop beers green? Always find a couple weeks is needed to soften the hops and round out the beer. Im sure it still applies here......what are you guys finding re: the beer.
I think that's the whole point with kveik. That it doesn't need the time.

Anyone have Hornidal ferment slow? I did a 1.055 APA on Sunday with yeast nutrient and pitched (Omega OYL-091) at 83-85 Sunday night. Monday it was bubbling away and by Tuesday it had stopped and from what I read I assumed it was done but a hydro reading showed it at 1.042. By Wednesday it was only into the 1.020's and this just seems odd compared to how it is reported to ferment out so quickly.

Anyone else have it react this way?

Anyone have Hornidal ferment slow? I did a 1.055 APA on Sunday with yeast nutrient and pitched (Omega OYL-091) at 83-85 Sunday night. Monday it was bubbling away and by Tuesday it had stopped and from what I read I assumed it was done but a hydro reading showed it at 1.042. By Wednesday it was only into the 1.020's and this just seems odd compared to how it is reported to ferment out so quickly.

If my memory suits me correctly this happened to me as well. I pitched at 95, and it fermented at 87 I believe. My OG was 1.064 when I brewed on a Sunday. I took a reading on Wednesday and was down to 1.020. When I bottled Sunday the FG was at 1.016.

I haven’t used this strain but what was your mash temp. I’ve found that anytime mine is 155 or higher I’ll finish 1.018-1.020

I haven’t used this strain but what was your mash temp. I’ve found that anytime mine is 155 or higher I’ll finish 1.018-1.020
152-153.

I will give it another day and then move to spund. Surprisingly, the beer did not taste as if it had a gravity of 1.020.

View attachment 607180
This is my Neipa 7 days after bottling. It’s nearly fully carbonated and no off flavors. Super tropical and smells like grapefruit, tangerine, and pineapple. This is one of the best beers and by far the fastest that I’ve made and was finished in 2 weeks from brewing to opening the first bottle.
Curious on your timeline. I never seem to be able to get my fast ones to drop out hops quick enough to even come close to this speed. Always seem to have some floaters in thre.

cold crashing/soft crashing should do the trick, doesn’t even have to be that long or that cold.

Curious on your timeline. I never seem to be able to get my fast ones to drop out hops quick enough to even come close to this speed. Always seem to have some floaters in thre.
Day One (Brew Day)- Threw hops in a bag and whirlpooled starting at 165 F and let temperature naturally fall for about 20- 30 minutes. Cooled wort to 95 and pitched.
Day 2- I think it was about 14 hours after pitching I added 4oz of hops in a bag to the fermenter. I need to find my notes, but I believe i just let them sit for 3-4 days before pulling.
Day 7- Bottled
Day 12- I couldn't wait and opened a bottle. To my surprise it was decently carbed.
Day 14- tried 3 more bottles. Good to go.

I haven't had a chance to try another because I've been sick this week. Are you saying that you have floating hops?

How old was the yeast? I pitched a two 2 month old packs on a Saturday and held it at 85F for the entire fermentation. No starter. I didn't see any airlock activity until maybe 24 hours after pitching. I was worried since a lot of people say they see activity within a few hours. Sunday night and Monday morning, it was going strong. After that, it started tapering off and by Wednesday, the activity was very slow, maybe bubble every 3-5 seconds. It started at 1.061. On Wednesday, it was about 1.011. No nutrients. I started crashing it the following Saturday (Day 7) and it was at 1.0095.

How old was the yeast? I pitched a two 2 month old packs on a Saturday and held it at 85F for the entire fermentation. No starter. I didn't see any airlock activity until maybe 24 hours after pitching. I was worried since a lot of people say they see activity within a few hours. Sunday night and Monday morning, it was going strong. After that, it started tapering off and by Wednesday, the activity was very slow, maybe bubble every 3-5 seconds. It started at 1.061. On Wednesday, it was about 1.011. No nutrients. I started crashing it the following Saturday (Day 7) and it was at 1.0095.
3 months maybe. I did not make a starter seeing I had read it was better to stress the yeast.

yeah, happens sometimes. not always. even a good hard crash to 34 and you can still have some floaters. really weird. maybe the leaves didnt get crushed/pulverized as well as they should have and the larger peices tend to float instead of sink? its happened once or twice with kveik. could be coincidence. thats why im curious as to timeline as i feel like i always need a good 2-3 days crash to really get things to drop fully.

Interested in kveik for APAs and IPAs, does it get "funky"? I've used Omega OYL-200 fermented mid to upper 70s and it came out fantastic. Big tropical fruity esters, no funk, are kveik esters similar to this?

I think that's the whole point with kveik. That it doesn't need the time.

Yeah i get that it doesn’t produce diacetyl or cleans up very quickly (have yet to see an actual study on this) but thats not going to affect a beer that is green in hop flavor due to high hop loads and needs time to settle in to a more rounded beer. I find ipas benefit from a couple weeks conditioning at home and also professionally. No bother was just curious about peoples mad rush to drink everything so quickly.

Forgive me I haven't read through all of this. I posted earlier that I just bought a pack of this. I was wondering if anybody has tried this yeast on an open fermentation and low step mashes. What's typical for traditional hefeweizen with high clove/banana phenolic character.

Edit: clove phenolic, banana ester

The low step mash with an acid rest starting at 95F - 113F followed by a protein and amylase rests. Edit: For phenolic formation

Then do an open fermentation or remove the lid at ~8 hours or onset of high krausen. Edit for ester formation

Both procedures are supposed to amp up the phenolic character. To include keg and spund at day 3 or 4.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/659768/

Schneider & Sohn Original German Hefe Weizen Ale

Last edited:
Forgive me I haven't read through all of this. I posted earlier that I just bought a pack of this. I was wondering if anybody has tried this yeast on an open fermentation and low step mashes. What's typical for traditional hefeweizen with high clove/banana phenolic character.

The low step mash with an acid rest starting at 95F - 113F followed by a protein and amylase rests.

Then do an open fermentation or remove the lid at ~8 hours or onset of high krausen.

Both procedures are supposed to amp up the phenolic character. To include keg and spund at day 3 or 4.

Kveiks are generally pof-, so I do not really get what you're after here.​

The low step mash with an acid rest starting at 95F - 113F followed by a protein and amylase rests.

Then do an open fermentation or remove the lid at ~8 hours or onset of high krausen.

Hornindal is non-phenolic. You shouldn't get any clove or banana with these yeasts.

Interested in kveik for APAs and IPAs, does it get "funky"? I've used Omega OYL-200 fermented mid to upper 70s and it came out fantastic. Big tropical fruity esters, no funk, are kveik esters similar to this?
The Voss kveik I used recently has 0 "funk". Wanted to use it around 100* but couldn't hold more than 85*. Pretty clean in a very basic grain bill. I don't get any yeast influence at all.

Kveiks are generally pof-, so I do not really get what you're after here.​
I forgot to add ester. I was thinking of it being fruity and citrusy. To amp that with open fermentation. Traditional or really old school open fermentation. Like when they didn't know about yeast and we're probably praying to the Norse gods.
Hornindal is non-phenolic. You shouldn't get any clove or banana with these yeasts.
I don't know enough about this, i should read the 193 posts before mine and the kveik wiki.

I was thinking phenolic and ester of something other than;
- banana: ester
- clove: phenolic

If either where created do they manifest these in different aroma and flavor profiles? I was just curious. I've been researching weisse a bunch and had to find something at northern brewer to cap out my $100 gift card. So it happened to be this yeast.

I forgot to add ester. I was thinking of it being fruity and citrusy. To amp that with open fermentation. Traditional or really old school open fermentation. Like when they didn't know about yeast and we're probably praying to the Norse gods.I don't know enough about this, i should read the 193 posts before mine and the kveik wiki.

I was thinking phenolic and ester of something other than;
- banana: ester
- clove: phenolic

If either where created do they manifest these in different aroma and flavor profiles? I was just curious. I've been researching weisse a bunch and had to find something at northern brewer to cap out my $100 gift card. So it happened to be this yeast.

What mullet said!

You can boost the ester production by underpitching massively (one teaspoon of slurry on five gallons) and also fermenting it really hot, around 100f (38c).

I did it with voss and it worked.

Back