Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you refer to x generation are you referring to yeast that was harvested after dry hopping or yeast harvested from a starter?

The concept of underpitching is very different with kveik.
Could you explain what you mean?

Are you talking between kveik strains or just that underpitching kveik is completely different than any other yeast. I believe when most say underpitching with kveik, they usually mean a tablespoon of slurry per 5 gallons.

Are you talking between kveik strains or just that underpitching kveik is completely different than any other yeast. I believe when most say underpitching with kveik, they usually mean a tablespoon of slurry per 5 gallons.

There is some difference between strains, but primarily just compared to your typical ale and lager yeasts. If you haven’t read Lars Blog yet, I highly recommend doing so. He’s done an excellent job of categorizing the different strains he’s come across.

There is some difference between strains, but primarily just compared to your typical ale and lager yeasts. If you haven’t read Lars Blog yet, I highly recommend doing so. He’s done an excellent job of categorizing the different strains he’s come across.
I have read it, although not his recent posts.

I was just wondering if all u hornindal users brewed with Stranda.

Sure, while it does depend from strain to strain, like any other yeast, you pitch much less than you need. A tablespoon of slurry is a good starting point, but with something like Voss or Hornindal you could still go lower.

This thread convinced me to use Hornindal to make the hoppiest beer I've attempted in a long time. Today I bottled the 3.5-gallon batch brewed Mosaic, Cashmere and Huell Melon, an ounce each at flameout and an ounce each for the dry hop. It smelled amazing while bottling. I just hope I didn't expose it to too much oxygen. I was very happy to find it didn't have the same esters produced by TYB Voss Kveik as I'm not a huge fan of those, and in my experience it would take a lot of hops to cover them.
I decided to ferment this on the "cooler" side. I pitch around 80F and set it in a 70-degree room. It began fermenting very slowly and stayed around 74F. After a bit more than 2 days of being somewhat sluggish, it just took off and finished very quickly. I then decided to bring it up to about 80F with a brew belt just to make sure it finished. I don't think that was necessary in the end, but I didn't take a gravity reading to confirm it. I bottled it a little more than 10 days after brewing. Oh, the OG was 1.048, and it finished at 1.007.

Just read thru the thread and didn’t see it mentioned, has anyone gotten really heavy bread-like aromas with omega Voss? I have braufessors hoppy wheat with azacca and mandarina going now, pitched Sunday night. Hit terminal last night. Pitched ~30b cells from a starter, fermented in corny with fermwrap, set to 90. The base yeast for the starter was 8 months old, from the first time I used kviek in a Golden promise blonde, also with mandarina. Both times now I have gotten this overwhelming bread like aroma and taste, maybe a little bit of orange but nothing like what has been written in previous posts. I dropped temp this morning in prep for the dry hop, but I’m gonna let it mellow a couple more days just in case. But 0/2 with this yeast so far

I had monday off and took the opportunity to brew a 1.070 stout with hornindal. Pitched the yeast at ~95 and oxygenated well; within 3 hours it had 1/4" kraeusen and by the next morning there was 5" so thought it would blow off all day but when I got home from work tuesday night at 6 the kraeusen had already dropped! I've never seen a batch nearly finished in 24 hours. Bubbling has slowed dramatically so I'll check gravity tonight and likely bottle this on Saturday if the gravity hasn't changed.

Pitched omega hornindal 2 teaspoons in 5 gallons of 1.065 wort with plenty of yeast nutrtition.
Fermenting very slowly and only dropped to 1.040 in 3 days. Ramped up the temp to about 35c but fermentation never seemed to get vigorous as supposed to the other kveik strains I tried.
Smells pretty strange.
Wonder how this will turn out when done.

Pitched omega hornindal 2 teaspoons in 5 gallons of 1.065 wort with plenty of yeast nutrtition.
Fermenting very slowly and only dropped to 1.040 in 3 days. Ramped up the temp to about 35c but fermentation never seemed to get vigorous as supposed to the other kveik strains I tried.
Smells pretty strange.
Wonder how this will turn out when done.
It sounds as though you massively underpitched it.

When you say 1 tsp of slurry, is that like shaking up the yeast pouch and just using 1 tsp of that? Or is that like making a starter, letting it settle, draining off the liquid and using 1 tsp of the dense yeast material?

I went through the posts and didn't see krausen mentioned. For different yeasts I use, I can pretty much guess how much krausen I will get on a particular beer at a particular ferm temp.

If this ferments so violently and fast, do you have a large krausen? I usually prepare and manage this ahead of time (use a vessel with more headspace and/or blowoff tube if needed).

I went through the posts and didn't see krausen mentioned. For different yeasts I use, I can pretty much guess how much krausen I will get on a particular beer at a particular ferm temp.

If this ferments so violently and fast, do you have a large krausen? I usually prepare and manage this ahead of time (use a vessel with more headspace and/or blowoff tube if needed).

I have not had any issues or blowoff fermenting 6 gal in 7.5 gal fermenter (Hornindal and Hothead from Omega) at high temps.

I used 1 tablespoon of slurry from the pouch on my most recent beer. Very sluggish start and in a couple of days looked like it was about to come to end fermentation. I checked on it a couple days after that and the yeast was going crazy. This yeast behaves differently than any other yeast I've used.

When you say 1 tsp of slurry, is that like shaking up the yeast pouch and just using 1 tsp of that? Or is that like making a starter, letting it settle, draining off the liquid and using 1 tsp of the dense yeast material?
I've made a 2 liter starter that I cold crashed and decanted... it's been exactly 1 week now and it seems finally done fermenting.
Smells very strange... not really the pineapple tropical smell that people speak off here and pretty offputting... tastes strange as well, I hope it's the yeast in suspension and it will be better after a bit of crashing.
I've got a split batch going with a london ale yeast to compare...

I've made a 2 liter starter that I cold crashed and decanted... it's been exactly 1 week now and it seems finally done fermenting.
Smells very strange... not really the pineapple tropical smell that people speak off here and pretty offputting... tastes strange as well, I hope it's the yeast in suspension and it will be better after a bit of crashing.
I've got a split batch going with a london ale yeast to compare...

Any update on the spit batch?

So I just kegged my NEIPA, fermented with Escarpment Labs Hornindal Kveik and brewed last Saturday (7 days ago).

Basic NEIPA grist, 34.3% Crisp Pale ale malt, 34.3% Rahr pale 2-row, 16.5% Weyermann Barke Pils, 12.4% Bob's red mill old-fashioned rolled oats, acidulated malt to 2.5%. Mashed at 153F, Mandarina Bavaria at 15 mins, and a 30 min hopstand at 170F of Amarillo and Mandarina Bavaria.

Against all of my willpower, I pitched approximately 1 TSP (teaspoon) of slurry into 6 gallons of 1.065 OG wort at 34C, and oxygenated well. It was fermenting like a jackhammer the next morning and down to 1.025 from 1.065 2 days later. At this time I added 70g Amarillo pellets as dry hops, and also added 2oz Citra cryo in a sanitized muslin bag as keg hops. I maintained 34C throughout fermentation and FG today was 1.014. The pineapple / citrus aromatics are incredible. Put me on the list of those who's minds are blown. I
hornindal_neipa_FG.jpg

Last edited:
So I just kegged my NEIPA, fermented with Escarpment Labs Hornindal Kveik and brewed last Saturday (7 days ago).

Basic NEIPA grist, 34.3% Crisp Pale ale malt, 34.3% Rahr pale 2-row, 12.4% Bob's red mill old-fashioned rolled oats, acidulated malt to 2.5%. Mashed at 153F, Mandarina Bavaria at 15 mins, and a 30 min hopstand at 170F of Amarillo and Mandarina Bavaria.

Against all of my willpower, I pitched approximately 1 TSP (teaspoon) of slurry into 6 gallons of 1.065 OG wort at 34C, and oxygenated well. It was fermenting like a jackhammer the next morning and down to 1.025 from 1.065 2 days later. I maintained 34C throughout fermentation and FG today was 1.014. The pineapple / citrus aromatics are incredible. Put me on the list of those who's minds are blown. View attachment 620879
Sounds awesome!

Basic NEIPA grist, 34.3% Crisp Pale ale malt, 34.3% Rahr pale 2-row, 12.4% Bob's red mill old-fashioned rolled oats, acidulated malt to 2.5%. Mashed at 153F, Mandarina Bavaria at 15 mins, and a 30 min hopstand at 170F of Amarillo and Mandarina Bavaria.

Against all of my willpower, I pitched approximately 1 TSP (teaspoon) of slurry into 6 gallons of 1.065 OG wort at 34C, and oxygenated well. It was fermenting like a jackhammer the next morning and down to 1.025 from 1.065 2 days later. I maintained 34C throughout fermentation and FG today was 1.014. The pineapple / citrus aromatics are incredible. Put me on the list of those who's minds are blown. View attachment 620879

Just to make sure I understand - what do YOU mean by 'slurry'? I just got a pouch of this that I haven't used yet...and am trying to plan for a pipeline to re-use it....but want to be sure that I understand how people are using (and reusing) it with success.....

Just to make sure I understand - what do YOU mean by 'slurry'? I just got a pouch of this that I haven't used yet...and am trying to plan for a pipeline to re-use it....but want to be sure that I understand how people are using (and reusing) it with success.....

Read this. http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

Typically you could dry it on parchment or something similar and reuse the flakes.

You can also store it as you normally would.

Read this. http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

Typically you could dry it on parchment or something similar and reuse the flakes.

You can also store it as you normally would.

Thanks. I was specifically asking what they meant by slurry - they say one TBS.....do they mean dried, or off of the bottom of a fermented, or washed yeast. They had success- I’m interested in what they did (realizing that there are different methods... I’m interested in the one they used this specific time).

Thanks. I was specifically asking what they meant by slurry - they say one TBS.....do they mean dried, or off of the bottom of a fermented, or washed yeast. They had success- I’m interested in what they did (realizing that there are different methods... I’m interested in the one they used this specific time).

Gotcha. My understanding is when they say “slurry”, it’s referring to the liquid mixture. Typically inside the pouch as thats the most pure yeast. If you were to reuse the yeast, then 1 TBS of slurry wouldn’t be just yeast cells and you would likely need to account for that or spin up more. Of your looking for that big ester production then under pitching is your best friend. Keep in mind those yeast were heavily stressed and you may not get the longevity of reuse out of them.

Someone posted a video on here awhile back of a guy in a Norwegian brewery brewing a traditional style beer using Kviek. He scooped the krausen off the top while it was still fermenting and dried that out and used the flakes for his next batch. I honestly just saved my slurry, trub and all for my next batch. I haven’t tried reusing it yet so I would be interested as well as to what worked for others.

I honestly just saved my slurry, trub and all for my next batch. I haven’t tried reusing it yet so I would be interested as well as to what worked for others.

I took the really small mason jars and just added the slurry from my second generation and created maybe 6 of them. Gave a few out, but you want to underpitch anyways, so I just pop those out and bring to room temp and pitch. Keep an eye on the pressure in the fridge though, as Lars mentions these yeasts still seem to be working in the fridge and that is my experience as well. I just twist the cap every once and while when I'm grabbing a beer.

I took the really small mason jars and just added the slurry from my second generation and created maybe 6 of them. Gave a few out, but you want to underpitch anyways, so I just pop those out and bring to room temp and pitch. Keep an eye on the pressure in the fridge though, as Lars mentions these yeasts still seem to be working in the fridge and that is my experience as well. I just twist the cap every once and while when I'm grabbing a beer.
Doing the same with Voss.

I made a "yeast block" to save my Hornindal yeast. I took a piece of Oak, drilled a bunch of holes through it, and boiled it in water to remove the wood tannins. I then dredged it in the bottom slurry of a finished batch and hung it up to dry. I just used it last week and it worked awesome. I just dropped the block covered in dried yeast in the wort until it was at high krausen(about 36 hours) and then removed the block trying to capture as much as the krausen on the block to reuse it again. It's currently hanging in my basement fully dried waiting for the next batch.

So far this yeast is great! I love the fruity flavors it gives. So far I've done a 9% Norwegian farmhouse with juniper berries and a cucumber/rosemary blonde(I just added the cucumber and rosemary today, but the beer before these additions were really good).

I made a "yeast block" to save my Hornindal yeast. I took a piece of Oak, drilled a bunch of holes through it, and boiled it in water to remove the wood tannins. I then dredged it in the bottom slurry of a finished batch and hung it up to dry. I just used it last week and it worked awesome. I just dropped the block covered in dried yeast in the wort until it was at high krausen(about 36 hours) and then removed the block trying to capture as much as the krausen on the block to reuse it again. It's currently hanging in my basement fully dried waiting for the next batch.

So far this yeast is great! I love the fruity flavors it gives. So far I've done a 9% Norwegian farmhouse with juniper berries and a cucumber/rosemary blonde(I just added the cucumber and rosemary today, but the beer before these additions were really good).

I dig this. I think I may try it next time I brew with kviek.

Just opened a bottle from split batch pale ale I made. Orange/tangerine flavor and smell is very dominant in this. I dry hopped with 3oz of Calypso 4 days before bottling. I can detect the hop character from the Calypso, but it seems much more subtle than the taste/smell the yeast contributes.

It was a new pouch of Hornindal Kveik blend from Escarpment labs. I shook the pouch, emptied the contents of the pouch into a sanitized mason jar, and then swirled the jar so that the culture was well mixed. I then added approximately 1 teaspoon of the mixed "slurry" into 34C 1.065 OG wort.

Under pitching and fermenting hot is supposed to be the key to bringing out the character of this yeast, and in my one time experience I'd say the technique works.

Looks like ~16.5% of your grain bill is missing? Color looks fantastic though!

20190409_190622.jpg
I'm going to be modest and say this yeast made a delicious NEIPA. Extremely "juicy" and going down way too easy for a 6.7% abv beer. And to think I was worried it wouldn't be hazy enough!

My juicy Hornindal pale ale that I brewed with Mosaic, Cashmere and Huell Melon turned out really great. However, something weird has happened with 4 or 5 bottles so far. They've been a lot darker and murkier than the others that look really bright. Here's a photo. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this would happen with a few bottles out of a batch? I did use a few bottles that a friend gave me that had some gunk in them, but I thought the oxiclean soak had gotten rid of it. I'm wondering if that could be the cause. The taste does seem to be a little different but not strikingly so.
Picture0410190751_1.jpg

Back