Hops to compliment NZ varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello HBT.
I want to brew a session NZ pale. Any suggestions? My comfort zone with hop varieties pretty much follows the same pattern as my taste in music and clothing and as a result I'm a bit stuck in the past. I am wondering about other hops which I'm maybe more familiar with which will compliment them and if the rates for NZ hops are similar or if you've got to use a lot more or a lot less to get the quoted aromatic qualities.

I've been experimenting with NZ/AUS hops...i've been doing small batches...so far of the NZ variety I like Kohatu + Moutere together .....Motueka+Southern Cross (maybe Pacifica) ...and Nelson Sauvin + Wai-iti.....all of these combos have turned out really good brews...That being said, I'm still playing with the amounts of each and the hop profile of each so I can't give you a rec on a pale ale, especially if you're trying something different...most brewers try to make flavors that they know....leaving them in a rut...that being said I suggest Kohatu + Moutere....you might be surprised .....keep the thread updated if you brew any of these....

Yeah that is what I'm trying to avoid. You find that people form positive memories at the same time as gaining new positive experience and that tends to colour what they reach for instinctively from then on out. I'm trying out different NZ/AUS hops to hopefully push outside of that comfort zone to expand my repertoire.

Yeah that is what I'm trying to avoid. You find that people form positive memories at the same time as gaining new positive experience and that tends to colour what they reach for instinctively from then on out. I'm trying out different NZ/AUS hops to hopefully push outside of that comfort zone to expand my repertoire.

I feel you....I say go for it...I like the combos i mentioned and they are new flavors that I didn't expect....all favorable and all I would brew again...good luck

Hello HBT.
I want to brew a session NZ pale. Any suggestions?

I made this recipe last year using only New Zealand hops and it's a big hit. Brewing my 4th batch next week (small tweaks for each batch). I use closed loop fermenting in kegs so that's why the volumes are lower than most recipes you see. I also do not like dry hopping and find with whirlpool additions I can get a nice aroma that way.

Tropical flavors and aromas. I really hate Citra with it's grapefruit flavor and aroma so this was my way of finding a flavorful pale ale without a lot of bitterness and with tropical flavors and aromas with no grapefruit. Everyone that has tasted this, loves it. That's why I'm on my 4th batch.

Recipe: Kohatu pale ale next batch #4
Brewer: Ray Smith
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Recipe Notes: original recipe from homebrewacademy.com
modified it to make a tropical pale ale. changed the hops from the original and I changed the yeast from WLP001 to WY1056 because if you ferment 1056 between 60-66 degrees it picks up more fruity flavors. (from the Wyeast website)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.07 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.47 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
28.65 mg 20% Phosphoric Acid (Mash 0.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
10 lbs 5.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 91.6 %
11.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.4 %
3.8 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 4 2.1 %
10.00 g Calcium Chloride (Boil 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -
5.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 60.0 mins Water Agent 6 -
0.15 g Canning Salt (Boil 60.0 mins) Water Agent 7 -
2.00 oz Kohatu [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 32.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 10.4 IBUs
0.21 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
0.00 mg Immersion Chiller (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 11 -
0.19 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 12 -
0.00 mg Turn on pump to sanitize (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 13 -
1.00 oz Kohatu [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.03 tsp Fermcap (Boil -1.0 mins) Other 16 -
0.8 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 17 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB Large Electric Kettle
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 4.7 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash Step Add 31.90 qt of water at 160.4 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Step Add 0.00 qt of water and heat to 168.0 F 168.0 F 10 min

Notes:
------
Since we are fermenting at lower temps. it's best to use more yeast in the starter than normal.

Since this recipe has whirlpool hops run the pump for a few minutes during the boil to sanitize the lines and pump.

The wort should be cooled below 180 degrees before adding the whirlpool hops. Then run the pump intermittently for a few minutes during the 30 minute whirlpool.

Timer settings for 60 minute boil.
At start of boil:
Set timer to 30 minutes
When timer goes off there are 30 minutes left in the boil at this time
Add 2 oz. of Kohatu
Set timer to 15 minutes.
When timer goes off there are 15 minutes left in the boil
Add .5 oz./ Zythos
Set timer to 5 minutes
When timer goes off there are 10 minutes left in the boil
Add I.C. and Irish Moss
Set timer to 5 minutes
When timer goes off there are 5 minutes left in the boil
Add Yeast nutrients and start pump to sanitize the pump and lines
Set timer to 5 minutes.
When timer goes off boil is done.
Chill to <180 degrees
Set timer to 30 minutes for the whirlpool
Add 0 Minute additions and start pump for a minute or two
Continue to occasionally run the pump to recirculate the hops during the whirlpool.

All interesting stuff. Current basic outline is ..

**% Pale malt
3-8% munich
3-8% oat
1.5-4% torrified wheat

On the fence about the wheat.
Low end of medium mash temperature for 60m.
Aiming for .038-.0.39 down to .008-.009 for 3.9-4%abv.

SO4/Cl ratio either 3:2 or 5:4. Aim here is emphasis sulphate without going as far as 2:1 to keep a sweeter mouthfeel and avoid too much snatch.

Bittering will be whatever high AA at 60m is on hand for approx 27IBU.
Late addition will be nelson s and waimea on a 3:2 ratio at knock out and during whirlpool for a fudge factor 35-40 total IBU's.
Dry hop 2 points off FG same ratio and hops as the late addition at 3g/L.

I don't have a great deal of T90's though and am wanting to explore the idea of a broader blend of other complimentary hops to bring up the complexity without overpowering the nelson and waimea? The aim is a refreshing and drinkable (crisp, but soft) session pale with a modern assertive hop forward character, but avoiding the stereotypical aggressive american character, preserving the tropical/fruity flavours of NZ hops.

I did a Motueka, Nelson Sauvin pilsner a few years ago. Turned out great. I used Super Alpha for bittering, the NZ hops were late additions. Computer that ran Beersmith died so I don't have the exact recipe.

Some of the best pale ales I have had were at tastings at my lhbs. A regular attendee made a couple he called 'half nelson' and 'full nelson', and made me a fan of Nelson Sauvin hops. I also make another one with green bullet hops that I love. Those are my favorite ones but I like pacific jade for a lighter beer with low hop profile.

Back