Hoppy Easter, Dry Hopping Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffd10

Reaction score
I know bad pun, I have an IIPA that is a basic NB Ripoff, Primary Day 21 today, it tastes REALLY good but I want to finish it perfectly..the original recipe only calls for 1 oz Cascade @ dryhop, but I am wondering if I should go more, here is the recipe:

16 lbs Great Western 2 row
3/4 lbs Carafoam
1/4 lbs crystal 120

2 oz Summit 60 min
1 oz Centennial 30 min

1tbl Irish Moss 15 min

1 oz Cascade 10 min
2 ounce Simco Flameout

1oz Cascade Dry hop (Have not Dryhopped yet)

YLP 001 with starter
1.5 cups DME into 6 cups water, topped up to 1.6 liters Stirplated

SG 1.08
FG1.010

Right now it is warm with alcohol and a nice hoppyness to it,

1) Will carbing bring out more hoppyness ?
2) Do I really want to secondary for another month ? (read that somewhere) even though I thought you wanted IPA's young

3) Confused if I should rack to secondary for 2 weeks then Re-Rack on top of some hops for the last week:confused:

I know there are a million other threads on dry hopping, I have read them and there are a bunch of different ways to do it...and it seems that I have really got my self in a twist...(left a sample out for the wife, she says its Pretty dang good:ban:) nothing like a hydro reading at 10:30 in the morning ..

Thoughts please

Thanks JeffD

no need to rack to secondary just to dry hop - i do it at the end of primary in same bucket all the time - def don't wait another month

i say dry hop now for about 1 week then rack to keg/bottling bucket as you normally would

carbonation should help with the hop aroma and def will change the flavor profile

i'd do more than 1oz for a IIPA - add more cascade, simcoe or centennial or any other similar cirtusy hop

Thanks Terrapin, Anger

I'm gonna rack it just cause I am set to do my first yeast washing...Gonna rack onto 1oz of Cascade and 1 oz of Centennial for a week then straight to the keg...

thanks for the feedback

Not so far. I use pellet hops primarily and seem to have little issue. They are only suspended down about 6-8" from the top of the keg so once the keg is half empty they no longer are touching the beer. Typically that is about 1 week to carb and then 2 weeks of drinking that I'm theoretically dry hopping. The very last beer may have some floaters, but any debris typically settle out with the yeast and stay put or float to the top.

i've dry hopped several kegs with no hop debris - i don't bother tying to the lid, even after a month+ in the keg they don't give off grassy flavors like DH at room temp for too long

terrapinj said:
i've dry hopped several kegs with no hop debris - i don't bother tying to the lid, even after a month+ in the keg they don't give off grassy flavors like DH at room temp for too long

How about transferring hop additions in secondary to the keg? I always do a secondary for my IPA's and dry hop for 7 days prior to kegging. If advantageous, why not move spent hops to keg?

never tried that - i do sometimes dry hop in primary for 1 week then rack and DH in keg with fresh hops

How about transferring hop additions in secondary to the keg? I always do a secondary for my IPA's and dry hop for 7 days prior to kegging. If advantageous, why not move spent hops to keg?

If you're just doing a secondary solely for dry hopping, my practice is to go straight to keg and do it then. However, if you do the secondary for additional conditioning and cold crashing, then it would be fine.

For my IPA's I do a 3 week primary, then cold crash for a day or so, then rack into keg and DH then. But there are many ways to skin a cat :mug:

If you're just doing a secondary solely for dry hopping, my practice is to go straight to keg and do it then. However, if you do the secondary for additional conditioning and cold crashing, then it would be fine.

For my IPA's I do a 3 week primary, then cold crash for a day or so, then rack into keg and DH then. But there are many ways to skin a cat :mug:

I transfer to secondary to open up the 6.5 gal carboy for fermentation and further conditioning. I only have one 6.5gal carboy. I may just have to go straight to the keg like you mentioned and dry hop in there. I'll just prime with sugar and put the hops in. I've always been weary of dry hopping for more than a week due to the more earthy or grassy flavors. I have experienced this once before when dry hopping for two weeks and have yet to try it again. I'll try skinning the cat a little differently this next time around.

Back